Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Data Recovery Issue: Optical Media

I'm trying to recover data from some old backup DVD's I made in Windows circa about 2003. These are full of family photos which I'd ideally like to get back, as the originals are tied up in a divorce feud with my parentals.

The weird issue is that on a few of these DVD's, my computer either doesn't recognize there's anything in the drive (though I can hear it whirring) forcing me to use the terminal or to reboot to eject them, or it will INSIST that they are blank DVD's. I've tried checking these discs out in Amiga 4, Windows 7, and Kali Linux 6 as well, and have similar results. I know I made these discs, and I can physically see how much data was burned on to these. They are CD-R and DVD-R formats (I found two different sets of backups in my old things, though the CD's are much older). While some of them are fairly scratched, I've had less issues with audio CD's from significantly longer ago.

Normally if a piece of media showed a blank file system, I would use something like Photorec to look for lost partitions, but I can't find anything that will scan "blank cd's" for lost partitions.

Any ideas? I really don't care which OS the solution's on. I run 4 in Cohearence with Paralells.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), I also run a cluster server and use separate Linux and Windows l

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 11:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2013 11:53 PM in response to Audica:Live

Of all of the consumer level 'data rescue' software that I know of, none addresses optical media. If the data is important, then you could always contact a commerical data retrieval service and see if they can help (Data Rescue 3, which I've used with excellent results on hard drives, recommends The Data Rescue Center).

I'm not sure why you're encountering problems - I have archival DVDs going back some 13 years (and some archival CDs that are even older!) and I've never had a problem with them.

Good luck,

Clinton

Oct 1, 2013 12:38 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

These aren't exactly high quality DVD's and there's some scratching on them, I'm going to do some of the old tricks I used on my dreamcast games back in the day in the morning.

I'm actually looking to dive into some more advanced forensics anyway, but will look into the data rescue center. Is there any professional level software that you are aware of that will work?

I tried one consumer level utility for Windows running it in a Wine bottler, but unfortuantely without actually having a registry, the program immediately came up with an error thinking something was horribly corrupt with my system and wouldn't run (at software level).

Weird Data Recovery Issue: Optical Media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.