Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to update Mac Pro drivers without graphics card.....

I have a 1.1 Mac Pro. The ATI Radeon 2600 graphics card that came with it is completely broken. I am trying to replace it with a ATI Radeon HD5770 which should be compatible, however as I have never really updated my OS (unfortunately I cant remember which OS it has on it at the moment, it's the one that came with it) I don't think I have the neccessary drivers. Any ideas of how I can update the drivers without haveing to buy another graphics card? If it's any help I also have a Macbook Pro. Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 1:41 AM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2013 7:44 AM in response to ThatJoeThom

5770 cards require one 6-pin Aux power cable from the motherboard to the card. Aftermarket cards do not always include it, but it MUST be connected.

That is a PC-BIOS card flashed with Apple Firmware. In general, such cards do NOT show the Boot Screens or any diagnostic screens. The first screen you see will be the login screen, or if you auto-login, the desktop.

The seller says It will show the Boot Screens ONLY if you connect an Analog VGA display (with adapter) to the lower DVI-I port.

Drivers for accelerated operation of this card are included with custom 10.6.4 shipped with certain Mac Pros, and in standard 10.6.5 and later. All appropriate Drivers are already included in Mac OS X -- there is no need to install them later, and no way to do so since they will not work in older versions.

Official information lists the Mac OS X that shipped originally with your Mac Pro 1,1 as 10.4.7, but it may have been as late as 10.5. These are not likely to work with that card. You would probably need to purchase a 10.6 DVD from the Apple online store, about US$30.

Most Users who are not developers would be better served with a genuine Apple card, which would show a picture from power-on. But it costs close to US$250.

Oct 2, 2013 10:30 AM in response to ThatJoeThom

You need to be running 10.6.5 or later to get accelerated operation.

If you are willing to endure "no picture until the login screen" that card is working. Hooking up a DVI display to the DVI port or a DVI-to-HDMI cable adapter (which is a simple re-wire, not a converter) should light up a DVI or HDMI display.

Wider than 1080p or 1920 wide DVI requires Dual-Link cables, which always have all pins populated in the grid (but so do some Single-Link cables).

Need to update Mac Pro drivers without graphics card.....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.