Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep getting Time Machine backup failure

4TB Hard Drive plugged direct into iMac on a USB port, with iMac running OSX 10.8.5, (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB memory)

All worked fine for months.

For the last few days, Time Machine backup fails every time it's scheduled or I try to run it manually with the following error:

Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to "TIME MACHINE".

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder

This is the error message the Time Machine widget displays:

Backing up to: /Volumes/TIME MACHINE/Backups.backupdb

Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/TIME MACHINE/Backups.backupdb/CTN iMac size:37

Backup failed with error: 2

Tried the obvious reboot, repair disk permissions and repair disk but still the failure returns.

Any suggestions???

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 4:53 AM

This has helped me in the past. Full reset of Time Machine

17 replies

Mar 25, 2014 2:06 AM in response to Alan Chocolate

Alan,

It turned out that the core problem was with my external hard drive. Eventually the drive failed and this is how I found this out. The Time Machine problems were just because the drive was beginning to fail and yet the fault, being intermittant, was not being picked up by the Disc Utility.

You might like to look into the stability of your external hard drives and see if that helps you solve your very frustrating problem.

Good luck!

Chris

Apr 4, 2014 11:55 AM in response to CNix London

I ordered a new Toshiba USB drive and installed it. Unfortunately, I am having the same problem.

The initial backup worked ok, and a few incremental backups worked fine. But then the backup failed, and kept failing.

I rebooted and the incremental worked ok. I assume it will fail again shortly.

It seems unlikely to be a drive/cable problem.

Here's the message in the console log just before the first failure:

com.apple.backupd[2336]: Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/Backup/Backups.backupdb/Alan’s iMac size:37

I don't find any other messages like this in the console log. (Note the possibly corrupted characters at the end of the message.)

I am wondering if there's some kind of intermittant hardware problem with my iMac. It doesn't seem that lots of people are having this exact problem.

Apr 6, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Alan Chocolate

I'm having that same exact problem on my MacBook Pro backing up to an external Toshiba USB attached drive too, whereas backing up to a FireWire attached Lacie drive on my MacMini doesn't experience the problem.

I've been using the USB drive for about a year without any problems so I don't know if it's about to fail, or there's a problem with 10.9.2.

Apr 8, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Alan Chocolate

After my incremental backups fail, I force eject the backup drive (a regular eject doesn't work) and wait for the light on the drive to go out. Then I disconnect and reconnect the drive.

Backups now work... for a while.

I'm wondering if OS X's state of the drive gets corrupted somehow... possibly if the drive sleeps when that isn't expected.

This is a new Toshiba 1TB Canvio drive, part number HDTC710XK3A1.

Apr 14, 2014 6:58 AM in response to Alan Chocolate

I may have solved this problem. I changed two settings in Energy Saver preferences:

Check Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off

Check Put hard disks to sleep when possible

I think it's the second one that made the difference. I haven't had an incremental backup failure in nearly a week.

From some other support posts, it seems to be a problem with iMac and external drive sleeping independently, and not handling the transitions properly. I couldn't find a way to tell the Toshiba drive not to sleep. Apparently telling OS X to put the hard disk to sleep forces it to explicitly manage the transition. So far, so good.

My OS X is 10.9.2, my iMac is 27" Late 2013 3.2 GHz Core i5, and the external drive is a USB connected Toshiba Canvio 1TB, part number HDTC710XK3A1.

Other manufacturers drives might work fine, depending on their sleep management.

Nov 19, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Alan Chocolate

I've had this exact problem with my 2011 MBP and now my 2015 MBP using USB multiple external drives and different BlacX Duet. Just this week I started a new TM backup on a known good drive and within a day I get the same errors. I noticed that when I open the volume in finder the first thing it does is spin back up. It seems likely this power setting is the problem and I'm trying your suggestion.

Aug 28, 2016 9:55 PM in response to CNix London

TM simply does not work, has always been flaky, has corrupted files and continuously fails to back up. I have replaced drives, reset TM and tried every connection available (FW400 and 800, USB 2) all hooked directly into the iMac. Apple really needs to re-examine this. FW won't work at all. USB looks like it is working, but fails a couple days into a 3TB back up. I need to move on. Does anyone have a good third party solution? Thanks.

Keep getting Time Machine backup failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.