Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I select what measurement units I want on my iPhone?

Well here's the thing... here in the UK we're stuck, nearly 40 years in the middle of a conversion from Imperial measures to Metric measures. There't no official guidance so people here tend to use what they feel most comfortable with, unfortunately Apple seem to have decided for us which ones we want on our phones, at least I can't figure out where to change it.

So, I'm somebody who wants to use metric exclusively. I've selected UK as my location in all the internationalisation options which makes the phone assume temperature is in degrees Celsius but the only place where other units are selectible is in maps, so I changed this from miles to kilometers.

So why, despite this, does the default map app still insist on using mph for wind speeds and not give me a way to change this? This despite the fact that the full version of Yahoo! weather gives me this option.

And why, if I choose to navigate or ask where something is using Siri, does it insist on giving me distances in miles? If I ask for directions on a locked phone using Siri the directions are displayed on the screen in metres and kilometres but are spoken in miles, if I navigate "by hand" the spoken directions are correct per my settings.

Come on Apple, even Google, after years of griping, now allows me to set their map app to metric if I so wish.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:28 AM

Agreed! Settings need: +Launguage +Mesuarement Units +Date Format +Currency, then maybe +Region. Give us choice on the rest! Same with keyboard choices like t9, or swype. Seriously a submenu just to enter proper punctuation in a message?

It's even worse for those of us in the US that use 'British English', and want to use all metric. If I switch my iphone to UK 'Region Format' many of my apps think I'm in the UK and won't work when first installed. I have to uninstall them, switch from UK region to US region under settings before installing a new app then I have to switch it back to UK region again afterwards. Even then, I'm still stuck with miles on Apple maps when I just want kilomtres. Nor are they enforcing apps to simply monitor the date format selected by the user region as the default for the app. So instead apps do their own thing entirely anyway. Often with some US bastardized monthdayyear hodgepodge of confusion.

Apple will not allow the MacBookPro, a $2,000 computer, to display date on the top bar as day month year. Even after making the date format changes under preferrences. Profesionally many of us in the US are constantly crimped by others in the US that for shortsighted reasons won't let the rest of us switch already. In the GIS field we have datasets collected by differenet tiers of government in countless formats that use feet, internation feet, and metres. It is a mess and no one seems to have the gumption and authority to put a stop to it and officially switch us to metic once and for all. Obama wrote a letter in response to this question by saying he woudln't touch the issue. So we have no leadership on unit standardization at all in the entirety of the US. Talk about killing regulations. **** we can't even agree how long a sporting field should be, metres or feet.

The least apple should do is allow end users of its electronic devices to input & display data the way we want it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2013 1:28 AM in response to bailey#70

Agreed! Settings need: +Launguage +Mesuarement Units +Date Format +Currency, then maybe +Region. Give us choice on the rest! Same with keyboard choices like t9, or swype. Seriously a submenu just to enter proper punctuation in a message?

It's even worse for those of us in the US that use 'British English', and want to use all metric. If I switch my iphone to UK 'Region Format' many of my apps think I'm in the UK and won't work when first installed. I have to uninstall them, switch from UK region to US region under settings before installing a new app then I have to switch it back to UK region again afterwards. Even then, I'm still stuck with miles on Apple maps when I just want kilomtres. Nor are they enforcing apps to simply monitor the date format selected by the user region as the default for the app. So instead apps do their own thing entirely anyway. Often with some US bastardized monthdayyear hodgepodge of confusion.

Apple will not allow the MacBookPro, a $2,000 computer, to display date on the top bar as day month year. Even after making the date format changes under preferrences. Profesionally many of us in the US are constantly crimped by others in the US that for shortsighted reasons won't let the rest of us switch already. In the GIS field we have datasets collected by differenet tiers of government in countless formats that use feet, internation feet, and metres. It is a mess and no one seems to have the gumption and authority to put a stop to it and officially switch us to metic once and for all. Obama wrote a letter in response to this question by saying he woudln't touch the issue. So we have no leadership on unit standardization at all in the entirety of the US. Talk about killing regulations. **** we can't even agree how long a sporting field should be, metres or feet.

The least apple should do is allow end users of its electronic devices to input & display data the way we want it.

Apr 5, 2014 12:25 PM in response to bailey#70

Quite right, a pain in the butt. Here I am, having lived in Belgium for thirty-five years and Spain for eight, having been told donkeys year ago that I needn't pay too much attention to the Imperial nonsense we had to learn alongside the metric stuff, and still Apple forces me to look at distances in Maps in Miles. No way, Pedro, as Del Boy once said. And the worse thing is, iOS7 offers the option of KM in the settings panel for Maps, AND STILL I SEE MILES. Horrible!

Help!

Apr 5, 2014 12:47 PM in response to davidneale1

Can't edit, so here's a reply to myself.

Looking through the discussions here, I found a number of threads that link the choice of miles or km display to the Regional settings under International. The general opinion seems to be that the selected units depend on the "standard" of the country/region selected and not on the settings for Maps itself, which is a fair enough explanation, even if the premise is bonkers.

Anyway, checking the Region settings, I saw that I had United Kingdom selected. Looking a bit further, however, I noticed that Wales was also included in the list. Well, "Cymru am byth," I thought and selected that instead (I was born in Wales).

Back in Maps, i did my directions calculation again and, lo and behold, the distance showed up in km.

Good old Wales.

Of course, my dates (month and day names) are now in Welsh, but I can live with that.

May 22, 2014 11:59 AM in response to bailey#70

Still waiting for a solution to this. I'm tired of Safari using my region settings for forwarding my serarches to google.co.uk and producing London results despite the fact I allow current location to be used, which is Portland Oregon. Please separate language, units, time format settings from eachother and most importantly from region as each should be a customizable item.

On a more philosophical level, how else is the majority of the US going to start using metric and standard international date format if not by granting us the choice to do so? People around the world wonder what is wrong with us. But if we don't even have a choice to change...

May 28, 2014 2:00 AM in response to jeffsummers

Ok so let me just re-visit my original problem now that iOS has been updated several times...

Yes you can switch units on your phone... in some places but not in others. You can tell Apple Maps to use metric regardless of where you are in the world but then if you ask Siri to get you directions while the phone is locked it starts to reply verbally in yards and miles.

Find my Friends uses the default expected for the country you're in, so here in England I'm stuck in miles (at least it uses "mi" instead of "m" for miles).

It seems to me that Apple would do better by allowing the user to set measurement preferences in the main Settings and then encourage all apps to use that as default settings rather than doing it on an app by app basis.

But then we are a special case here in the UK where metric is the "official" measurement system but we still use miles on the roads, mph for wind speeds in weather reports, stones to measure human weight and F as a temperature unit but ONLY if the temperature goes much over 30C.

Nov 29, 2015 3:19 AM in response to bailey#70

May I add my voice to the chorus asking Apple to please, just allow us to set which units we want. I live in the UK, but use metric. The usual work around to this is to set your region to somewhere else, so I set mine to Germany. And I've finally realised that this is why I couldn't use Apple Pay. For pity's sake! So I've set my region back to the UK, but I'm not going to suffer using antique measures in silence. Apple, add one little setting to the squillions of other settings, and save me from this madness! Please!

Why can't I select what measurement units I want on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.