Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1 crashes with new podcast sync

I installed iTunes 11.1 when it first became available and had no problems. A few days ago, however, iTunes begain crashing within 30 seconds every time I opened it. I reinstalled iTunes with a fresh download. No luck. Thinking maybe something in my library got corrupted, I restored via Time Machine my complete iTunes library from the last day iTunes opened without crashing. Again, no luck. Then I noticed a subfolder in my library for a previous library that appeared to have been created automatically when iTunes 11.1 installed. So I option-clicked iTunes and directed it to that library file. At first this worked, but as I began updating podcasts downloaded since then, it crashed again.

Having ruled all this out, here is what I found. At some point (I think with 11.1) Apple added a new checkbox in Settings under Store called "sync podcast subscriptions and settings." I assume this is for iCloud or iTunes Match or one of those services that I don't use. When I reinstalled iTunes 11.1, I opted-in to that syncing when asked during setup (figuring it was your ordinary updating of new podcasts). But once I opted-out of podcast syncing in this settings page, my crashing problem stopped.

I don't know whether my original install of 11.1 had podcast syncing selected or not, so I can't say why this started after working successfully for at least a week. But if anyone else is having mysterious crashes with 11.1, try starting and racing into settings to turn off podcast syncing before it crashes on you.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 6:08 AM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2013 8:12 PM in response to Livelyornot

The exact same thing happened to me!

installed 11.1 on my 10.6 Intel MacBook Pro (2006). No issues. Then suddenly I couldn't keep the program open.

After reading your description I was reminded that this started after I went through the settings & turned on the podcast sync. Now it keeps crashing & I can't keep it open long enough to check that option!

I've restarted, ran DiskWarrior on my computer & my external drive that holds the iTunes library. It was open for a while so I could update apps, but the second I opened the podcast tab... CRASH & can't keep it open longer than 30 seconds. Guess I'm gonna have to trash preferences or something 'cause this is getting crazy.

Oct 8, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Stephanie Lucchesi

If you haven't fixed the problem already, try this to get to your podcast sync setting. Position your mouse roughly where your "store" button is in your preferences window. Open iTunes, and as soon as it's open press Command-, (that's command and comma). This is the keyboard shortcut to open preferences. Then click "store," and quickly move down to the podcast syncing checkbox, click it, then click OK. I was able to do it before iTunes crashed if I used the keyboard shortcut and pre-positioned my mouse.

iTunes 11.1 crashes with new podcast sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.