Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual-boot on MBP Retina SSD

Hi!

I've just started university and have been wondering whether to get a Mac or PC (I already own a desktop Windows PC). After much thought, I've decided to go the Mac "ultrabook" way, namely the MBP 13'' Retina (I might still choose the MB Air...).

I know that there are many alternatives to OneNote 2013 (whether special Mac ones or multiplatform like Evernote) but none has been as compelling as OneNote (especially because I have my desktop PC which I would also like to use to edit notes).

So I see two solutions :

1) Use the OneNote web app during lectures

2) Set up a OS X/Windows 8(.1) dual-boot

My question is, regarding option 2 : does a dual-boot "hurt" the SSD in some way like reducing it's lifespan? Furthermore, is it worth the effort? Does it work well?

Thanks in advance!

Jonas

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 9:01 AM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2013 9:46 PM in response to Joe-Boy198

Don't forget that you don't have to choose to "dual boot" only. You have the option of runnign Windows in a virtual machine environment like Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or Virtual Box. Each of those allows you to create a virtual PC within your Mac, then boot that virtual PC just as if it were a real PC. At that point, you are then running Windows and can install and run your Windows software on that virtual machine. I have gone this route with my latest MacBook Pro, which is a Late 2011 model, and it is older and slower than the MacBook Pro with Retina that you are looking to buy...

Dual-boot on MBP Retina SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.