Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 external hard drives, 1 library

Hello,

I want to have 2 external hard drives with the same aperture library.

I have one that I use at homer (requires a power cord), and the other that I use on the road (both with my macbook pro).

Any idea how to sync them?

Aperture 3

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 10:47 AM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2013 10:52 AM in response to nychava

With the whole library this would be a pain.

But you can export parts of the library as a project, work on them, and then when you re-import them Aperture can smartly merge the changes in.

Note you have to do this as an export/import from one machine... if you try to copy the library with Finder and later Merge, Aperture won't know the library was exported first.

Read about this in the Aperture manual.

Oct 2, 2013 8:36 AM in response to William Lloyd

Thank you both.

I am also running into a problem with the "merge"

I recieve an error message stating that there is not enough disk space.. But I have:

845g free on the road drive and 554g free on the home drive. The message says I need 165g and only have 130g available. Is it trying to use the internal hard drive on my computer??

Oct 2, 2013 8:52 AM in response to nychava

Assuming that when on the road changes aren;t taking place to your home library and when home changes aren;t taking place to your road library you just need to copy the most current library from one drive to the other.

Aperture's ability to keep libraries in sync is minimal at best. The merge command at times does not behave in an intuitive way and can lead to problems.

I would not rely on it to maintain two libraries as you describe.

regards

Oct 2, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

+1

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Aperture's ability to keep libraries in sync is minimal at best. The merge command at times does not behave in an intuitive way and can lead to problems.

I would not rely on it to maintain two libraries as you describe.

Additionally -- as the OP is discovering -- merging large Libraries, even with only minimal changes, can require a lot of free space and take hours to complete. I recommend against using it for any Library over (arbitrarily) 50 GB.

Your best bet (imho, obviously) is to use a single external drive. If you (nychava) anwer the already-asked question -- why you need this -- we may be able to suggest other solutions that work with Aperture.

Oct 6, 2013 7:06 PM in response to nychava

I am trying to organize my aperture library and wanted to keep two identical copies on two hard drives. I found carbon copy cloner the easiest to use. My aperture library is about 950 GB. You have to connect both drives and make CCC "clone" from the modified disk (aperture library) to the other one. It copies only the changes made on repeat "cloning" taking only few minutes. I have used this only for the last one week ad it has worked quite well so far.

2 external hard drives, 1 library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.