Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the white welcome screen come up after I restore a backup.

I am currently managing 60 iPads at a K-12 school through apple Configurator, since iOS 7.0.2, whenever I create a backup and then try to restore all the iPads to that backup at least 90% of them end up showing the white welcome screen and I have manually go through each one and go through the welcome screen. Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to eliminate this issue?

Apple Configurator-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 10:43 AM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2013 9:49 AM in response to DeWal25

Hi,

I have been having this issue. It only happened when the new IOS was deployed. I manage 10 iPads at a public library and I learned a lot, though I am not really certain of any of this. I will share a little of what worked for me.

1. My iPads have updated to the new IOS.

2. When that happened, the backup of my bookmarks, etc. will not restore.

3. I tried to set the IOS to never update, and Configurator would not restore.

4. All those white screened iPads probably need to be re-set-up as their own user. like publiclibrary001@icloud.com, publiclibrary002@icloud.com, etc. They need their own password, etc. I say "probably" because I keep trying to share the same username even though I know I'll never be able to install VPP apps for them like that and plan to re-assign apple IDs to each.

5. Today I get Error code 4 on my Configurator and the backup will not work, so my bookmarks are "flushed" and I don't know how I'll restore them. I may submit and create apple IDs for each one today.

6. It was possible at one point to go through the setup screens on one, decline to set up "Find my iPhone" and then make a backup of it. Restore the new backup to all iPads, then re-set them up as their own machines, save a backup for each individual one, then setup Find my iPhone. THEN, re-save a new backup of each individual one. That worked for me really great until yesterday when I get this Error Code 4.

7. I really liked having them all share an apple ID because when I log into iCloud.com, I can see all iPads on one map.

I may check in with my result since it seems there is no reall official support for Error Code 4 yet.

-Ilan

Oct 2, 2013 2:29 PM in response to ilan1111

I was also having error code 4 when I try to restore from a backup. Talked to an apple support rep, he said that "it's a known issue and they are working in it, best recommendation is to wait for an update that'll fix it" until that update, we turned off all "find my iPad" and I was able to push out a backup. However, along with that came the welcome screen every time I restored from a backup. I talked to another apple rep about it and he gave me the same answer; wait if an update. Of course all these issues only started after iOS 7. I am hoping the release a Configurator update soon that will fix both these issues.

Why does the white welcome screen come up after I restore a backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.