Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Browser (Safari) Speed Since Upgrading to 10.8

Hello- I upgraded to Mountain Lion from Lion last week. I have noticed a signficant slow down in browser performance since upgrading. Very slugish now. I noticed it immediately, but thought I'd give it time and different internet connections. Nope... still very noticeable.

Problem: Slow browsing speed since going from 10.7 to 10.8

Setup: 10.8.5 with latest safari, MBair 2012 w/SSD and 8GB ram - Plenty of disk space

What I've tried: Fixing permissions, cleaning cache, reseting safari, cleaning cookies, DNS (open vs. google vs. standard)

Any advice? Thx.

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 11:50 AM

5 replies

Oct 1, 2013 6:25 PM in response to mr.bill

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them.

1. Have you restarted your router and broadband modem since you first noticed the problem? If the answer is no, do that now and see whether there's any change.

2. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same?

3. What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

4. Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

5. If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

6. If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Oct 2, 2013 7:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hey Link- Good questions, here goes:

1. Router Restart- Sort of, but it's not really a source of the problem because this is appearing on many different networks. Everything from work to home to coffee shops. We have fiber at the house level where I have it run into a cisco router. Thus, I'm quite certain its not a network issue.

2. Yup, should have mentioned this... I've tried Chrome and Firefox. Can't really say there's a huge difference because I've found both browsers faster anyway, but I aways prefered the security of Safari. Overall, the entire system just feels sluggish. But if I had to so, then Safari is definately the slowest of the browsers.

3. Other internet apps appear fine, but sort of hard to guage actual speed. Downloads in both the browser(s) and in the app store seem fine.

4. Well, yes, there are many other devices on the networks, but they have always been there.

5. See 1: Tested on many networks. All Feel much slower.

6. Great question: I have tested with Ethernet and yes, it also feels slower.

As an added note: The slowness is when the pages are first trying to load. It appears as though the browser/network stack is trying to resolve something. Once it actually starts loading, its fine. There is just a sort 'negotiation' lag with web pages. I've done speed tests and all my networks (note: ones I have control over: Work and Home) are pegged out at 15Gbps down. But... Its always the initial startup thats so slow. As a result, I decided to try different DNS providers. OpenDNS was the fastest at resolving names, but it wasn't enough to remove the difference.

Thanks!

Slow Browser (Safari) Speed Since Upgrading to 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.