Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6.0.5 Mac won't "SAVE IMAGE AS" jpegs from web pages

Hi. Trying to figure out what has changed here.

In the past, when I've located a specific graphic on a web page — say, a .png or .jpg file through a Google image search in Safari — I could right click and choose "SAVE IMAGE AS" and download the image to my desktop.

No more.

Now Safari insists on appending ".webarchive" to the end of the file (for example, "image.jpg.webarchive" or "image.png.webarchive"), but won't let me download it. I tried to "SAVE IMAGE AS" a file called 27.png from a web page, for example, and got this error message:

User uploaded file

If I try to remove the ".webarchive" extension, I get this error message:

User uploaded file

I used to be able to simply right click an image, select "SAVE IMAGE AS" and save .jpg and .png files to my desktop. It still works that way in Firefox.

I am not looking for workarounds or other ways to do this, as I have spent many years doing it this way and it has become habit; I am trying to find out how I can get the old Safari behavior back. Any ideas on why this behavior changed in Safari and how I can revert?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 12:19 PM

It works as usual here on the same version - have you tried switching off any Safari extensions ?.

The screenshots aren't showing here - could you post them again, along with a site where the problem is found - or try again with this google search, say.

3 replies

Oct 1, 2013 12:25 PM in response to andyBall_uk

@andyBall_uk

Inexplicably, it is now working as it should. I don't get it, but I am not going to question it. I tried to figure it out for an hour, then read your reply, did the duck search you linked to and had no trouble "SAVING PICTURE AS" in .jpg form. It now works on the original images I was trying to download as well. I did not close or open Safari, nor did I restart my computer.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that you fixed whatever was wrong. Nice work!

Safari 6.0.5 Mac won't "SAVE IMAGE AS" jpegs from web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.