Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Get Location Services To Work On Home WiFi Again

Ok, so here's the problem. I have a iPod Touch. It uses wifi to find the location. Location Services used to work well on my home wifi. My wifi is through a cellular company and ever since I have moved my router on trips with me, the location services will not work. As I understand, Apple keeps a database of wifi locations. Maybe this will just take time. Its rare for me to take my router with me so i'm not sure why it's still not working. Anyone know? Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 7, iPod Touch 5th generation 32GB

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 12:39 PM

9 replies

Oct 1, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Zach the Apple User

You are right on low location works on iPods

For location the iPod uses the location of nearby wifi routers that are in Apple's database. You do not have to be connected to the network/router to use that router's location. Thus, it appears that the iPod can't see a nearby router that is in Apple's database. Apple continuously updated their database based on info they obtain from iPhones. No one has been able to find a way to inform Apple of a router or correct is location.

You confirmed that by going to place with a know located router like Starbucks or McDonalds

Thus, invite people over who have iPhones.

Nov 20, 2013 2:09 PM in response to lllaass

After 10 days of unknown location ,my wifi only devices( ipod,ipad,mac) have reappeared today ! I had recently bought a new router.

Not sure what triggered the reapparence but I had over the last week done several queries to locate my devices via iCloud.All of them failed except for my iphone.

Yesterday I did as mentionned , activate the function on my iphone to send diag and usage data to Apple.

Today I arrived home with my iphone with wifi activated, waited outside a few minutes , opened find my phone and then bang all my devices appeared at their correct location !

My geolocation apps are now functionning properly.

How To Get Location Services To Work On Home WiFi Again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.