Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Apple TV, iTunes and now I have severe buffering problems

I just moved into a new place, upgraded to 24 mbs internet then updated apple TV and my iTunes.

Sat down to watch a film from my media drive and got severe buffering problems right from the start. Films and TV shows play on the mac fine but as soon as I use airplay or try to play them from the Apple TV "Computers" channel I get a five minute wait for the film to start, then it plays for five minutes then buffers for five minutes making iTunes media viewing on the big screen unacceptable. The media is located on my media drive connected by USB to my mac so it usually starts playing almost instantly. The only other change is a faster router, and the software updates.

Any ideas?

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 5 mac LAN, 3 PB, 1 iMac, 1 MiniServ

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 1:35 PM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2014 6:59 PM in response to erickonphoenix

It's now been three months since I posted this and the issue conitinues. I've upgraded routers, bought a new mac, upgraded to a faster connection and it is still buffering every 15 minutes for up to 10 minutes before playing on media streaming from my local drive. Netflix streams over the internet better than I can stream media from my local network. This is so maddening I've simply taken to connecting my laptop directly to my TV which defeats the purpose of getting an appleTV. It appears I have an overpriced Roku.

Feb 26, 2014 6:12 PM in response to erickonphoenix

Ok I appear to have finally solved the problem. I bought a new Airport Extreme, my thought is that the apple TV didn't want to play with the Netgear router. The problem improved somewhat but then I thought maybe the traditional media drive USB 3.0 connection was the bottle neck so I bought a 3TB lacie thunderbolt drive and BAM! Works great now. Total cost of fix, $448.77

Updated Apple TV, iTunes and now I have severe buffering problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.