8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 1:52 PM by Mike Strohmeyer
Mike Strohmeyer Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

The "kind" field in several of the pictures in my iPhoto library is blank.  I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 24 inch model, July 2009
  • 1. Re: iPhoto metadata question
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,770 points)

Where is this field? What version of iPhoto? What do you think needs fixing?

• 2. Re: iPhoto metadata question
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,645 points)

Please explain - that is not an EXIF field - where are you seeing it adn what do you think should be in it?

LN

• 3. Re: iPhoto metadata question

I'm using iPhoto 09.  The "kind" field appears in the information window below the album/folder listing in the sidebar.  "Kind" is not a searchable nor editable field, but it shows the format the selected photo is in (.jpg, .tif etc). 

• 4. Re: iPhoto metadata question
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,665 points)

That just tells us what image format and extension the original file has. Select the thumbanil of the image without Kind and select Show File from the contextula menu.  You'll be taken to the original file where you can see what its extension is. 

iPhoto001.jpg

It just means the EXIF field Kind for that image wasn't filled in.

The fact that it does't show the format doesn't affect its useability.

OT

• 5. Re: iPhoto metadata question

It appears that photos with the kind field not filled in won't become "members" of smart albums.  So if I have a smart album that collects all of my family pictures and one or more of the pictures meeting the smart album criteria has a blank kind field it won't show up in the smart album. 

• 6. Re: iPhoto metadata question
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,665 points)

Don't have any such pictures to test here with iPhoto 09 or 11 so can't confirm.

But as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some of the problem photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

• 7. Re: iPhoto metadata question

I'll do that.  It might take me a couple of days to get to it, but stayed tuned. 

• 8. Re: iPhoto metadata question

OT,

I finally was able to find some original photos to load to a new test library.  As before, there are several photos in the new library that have the kind field empty.  Many, but not all of the guilty parties are old and are mostly downloads of stuff that I scanned way back when.  There are also quite a few screenshots that I've taken over the years - mostly hotel confirmations.  So I'm guessing that whatever mechanism that took the photo didn't have any idea that there was a kind field to be filled in.

FWIW, I found a way to fix the problem, but it's not painless.  If I export the guilty parties and then re-import the back into iPhoto, the kind field is filled in with whatever format I used in the export.  Trouble is, reloading changes the date of the picture to the current date, so all the old stuff is tacked onto the end of the photos database.  Any notes I may have made are also blanked out, but there were only a few of those and it didn't take much time to recreate the notes (in my case, at least - I'd hate to be somebody who had several hundred or more of these things to fix.

In any case, thanks for your response and ideas - they really focused my attention on fixing the problem.

Cheers

Mike