Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTP Access - 425 possible pasv port theft, cannot open data connection????

Every time i try to connect i get this error.
I am runnnig Mac OS X Server 10.3 And have ports 20 and 21 open. It happens in the browser and in terminal can anyone pleae help? I really want to use FTP through browsers both Mac and PC. Thanks!

I have searched through many threads for a solutiona also.

PBook 17", Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 28, 2006 3:33 PM

3 replies

Jul 8, 2006 2:29 PM in response to G3Logic

OK, then here's the problem. For some reason, the Washington University FTP server (wuftpd) that Apple uses requires some additional configuration when behind a NAT router. This is inherit to wuftpd, whether or not it is used on Mac OS X Server. Here's how to configure the service to accept requests originating from a NAT router:

1. Using Server Admin, stop the FTP service, then open the /Library/FTPServer/Configuration/ftpaccess file using pico (via Terminal or SSH) or locally using a text editor. You'll need to su to root to edit the file or log in at the server as root.

2. Look for an entry with the text "passive address" - edit it or add it such that it reads: passive address router-ext-IP 0.0.0.0/0, replacing router-ext-IP with your router's public IP address.

Look for an entry with the text "pasv-allow" - edit or add it to read like this: pasv-allow all router-local-IP/24, replacing router-local-IP with the local IP address of the router. The "/24" is the subnet mask: 24 bits or three octets (bytes) "covered" or "1'd out". In each octet, the subnet mask is subtracted from 255 (11111111 binary) to return an allowed IP address range. Thus, "/24" is 255.255.255.0.

Here's an example: pasv-allow all 10.0.1.1/24

Look for an entry with the text "port-allow", and edit it similarly, following the same rules as with pasv-allow: port-allow all router-local-IP/24.

3. You can also add or edit the "passive ports" line to specify ports to use; otherwise, those will be chosen randomly. FTP operates in two modes: "port" which uses TCP ports 20 and 21, and "passive" or PASV which picks a port. If you want to use passive, you should narrow down the range of passive ports so that those can also be PAT forwarded to your server.

Don't worry - the first time I configured wuftpd behind a NAT router it took me several hours! I found this web site to be particularly helpful, and it's my source for this suggestion: http://articles.involution.com/linksysftp.php

--Gerrit

FTP Access - 425 possible pasv port theft, cannot open data connection????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.