Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scroll Bar on right - Can I make it bigger/easier to use? Probably NO

My hands shake and I CAN NOT hit the slim scroll bar to the right with the new Macbook Pro. I need it at least double the size like it used to be on the old Macbook.

Is it correct that I CAN NOT:

Make the scroll bar bigger?

Add the up and down arrows to the scroll bar?

I am mainly a PC user and I am so stuck with this new Mac.

Is it also true that I CAN NOT:

Make all the main buttons up top (like the minimize/maximize buttons) etc bigger?

Also with the scroll bar on the right, on a windows PC I can just move the arrow ALL the way to the right and click the button and the scroll bar moves down. On the Mac, if I move the cursor all the way to the right it transforms to the sideways arrow as if I want to reduce the size of the window. I do not want to do that. I just want my cursor to stay regular and click the button so that the scroll bar moves down. Any way to fix that?

I noticed if I full screen the Firefox browser, then it doesn't transform the cursor, but I still have to pull it left a micro inch before I can use the scroll bar. But just not too far! Or else it doesn't work.

I've been dealing with this for days and I just am stuck. I think I might have to get rid of this computer, because it's not usable for me. Either that or try different mice. Any feedback at all is appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 5:11 PM

4 replies

Oct 2, 2013 2:56 AM in response to Simplify55555

Adjusting the screen resolution ALMOST worked. Was a great idea. I am waiting for my adapter cable and will soon have the laptop hooked up to a large screen, but I am bummed that I am limited in enlarging things.

The Command-M idea to minimize something is also an EXCELLENT idea. That reallly hit the spot.

Yes and the keyboard up and down arrows do a good job. I guess space bar jumps the page down 1 whole page. Then of course there is a mouse wheel when I hook up a 'generic' mouse.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve now. It's just hard to teach family members to change common things they have been doing for decades.

Oct 9, 2013 11:41 AM in response to Simplify55555

FULL SCREEN button on Firefox actually seems to do a good job.

Here are the key combinations to turn on full screen:

Control Command F

Shift Command F

Or as it is listed in view

^ Command F

It seems that when I am in full screen and I push the mouse to the very right, I can just click away and I don't have to fine tune my aim any more for my cursor to work.

Hope that helps someone.

Oct 2, 2013 2:22 AM in response to Simplify55555

Welcome to the Apple Forums, Simplify55555!

Simplify55555 wrote:

Is it correct that I CAN NOT:

Make the scroll bar bigger?

Add the up and down arrows to the scroll bar?

If you have not already done so, consider setting the scroll bars to "always" show. Also, in the General Preferences, check the box next to "Double-click a window's title bar to minimize." You can also minimize windows with the keyboard keys "command + M." There is no universal keyboard shortcut to maximize a window but you could create a custom keyboard shortcut. See #3 in the artilce, "7 Simple Window Management Keyboard Shortcuts to Improve Workflow in Mac OS X."

While there are no longer up and down arrows in the scroll bars, you could use the arrow keys on your keyboard. Up and down arrow keys for vertical scrolling and left and right arrow keys for horizantal scrolling.

Hope this helps.

Scroll Bar on right - Can I make it bigger/easier to use? Probably NO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.