Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV no longer works off-line

Trying to figure out if this is just me.

It is normal for me to power down my modem at night but leave my router on-line.

Previously this has not caused a problem with my apple TV since the network is up still just no internet access. I did it tonight however after updating my apple TV and it would no longer play content.

It would connect to my library and see the content but when I went to play it the message was my computer "was not authorized".

Now this has happened a long time ago (the authorization going away on my iMac) so I simply restarted the internet to authorize it again only to find out it had not lost the authorization.

Power down the modem again and try my apple TV only to get the same "not authorized"

Does the latest update to the Apple TV require an internet connection to play content now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 5:55 PM

17 replies

Oct 2, 2013 1:37 PM in response to vazandrew

I used to have a job where I would at times not come home for days so I got in the habit of powering down everything at night. The modem is just the first thing to go. I do the computers, HD's and router before I head to bed. That way I don't have to worry about anything if I don't come home for a while. Not an issue currently so to be honest I do it out of habit more than anything else at the moment.

Oct 2, 2013 1:39 PM in response to diesel vdub

Yes the Apple TV requires authorization for iTunes purchases but the way it is functioning right now if my cable goes out (not an unusual occurance around here) my ATV will stop functioning as well.

This was not a normal occurance prior to the update. On occasion it would require you to "reauthorize" the computer but when I lost cable the ATV would still function as long as the router was online. That no longer appears to be the case.

Oct 2, 2013 6:43 PM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew,

Prior to this last update:

If my cable went out I could still watch iTunes purchased content on my ATV.

When the cable is down the ATV will see my library you can select albums, TV shows, movies, etc and it will tell you the information but if you try to play iTunes purchased content it will not let you because it can't "verify" the authorization.

I find this confusing because I have never stored my iTunes user name or password in my ATV so I was under the impression it always played content as long as the computer connected to the ATV was authorized for that library.

I can play iTunes purchased content on my computer without an internet connection so I am confused as to what the ATV is trying to "verify" that it can't without an internet connection.

Nov 27, 2013 5:10 PM in response to vazandrew

I agree with the original poster that this is frustrating. Not everyone (believe it or not) lives where they can get unlimited internet access--and the satellite and LTE access is quite expensive. Some of us have to download content only occasionally.

If one has downloaded the movies, purchased through iTunes on an authorized computer, why can't it play through to the appleTV? This has NOT always been the case--it occurred for me as well after the recent major updates.

Does anyone have actual information on this?

thanks

Nov 27, 2013 7:08 PM in response to vazandrew

Sorry, but you are incorrect in denying our problem. Again--as stated--I've been using it offline, streaming through an Airport that is NOT connected to the internet, for a YEAR. Since the updates, the apple TV gives the "not authorized" response every time I try to stream a purchased movie. Same exact setup other than the update to Mavericks.

So it has NOT always been the case that a connection to the internet is needed to stream from one device to another. Obviously there's no further downloading taking place--that isn't the original or my question. I think you may be misunderstanding the issue.

Would appreciate any information from anyone who has actually experienced or solved this problem. Will post again if Apple gives any good information when I contact them.

Dec 10, 2013 1:27 AM in response to LCar619

Does anyone have any other insight to this, my internet is playing up at home and is off most of the time and I'm having a similar issue.

I connect to my computers from an Apple TV which works right away, it lists all my available movies, TV Shows etc but after choosing one it sits there buffering for anything up to 10 minutes before eventually starting to play.

This IS new behaviour, I was always able to 'stream' from computer when just connected to router without internet connection before one of the recent updates, either to Mavericks or an Apple TV update. Has anyone tried this setup on Mountain Lion etc, or with Mavericks and a previous Apple TV Software Version?

Jan 4, 2014 8:20 AM in response to simbonding

Sorry stopped following the thread for a while. No response from Apple on whether the new restrictions were intentional or not.

There is a work around though:

Airplay

When my internet goes down I can airplay content from my iPad or laptop (haven't tried it from iMac) to my AppleTV without the "authorization" issue.

Now don't ask me what the difference is between doing it this way and the normal way my iMac talks to the AppleTV but apparently there is a difference.

And my iPad is wifi only so it can't be verifying anything without a network either.

Jan 13, 2014 4:07 AM in response to Aeneas

I actually did call tech support and found someone who would help me without me paying for a single incident assistance package (don't ask).

They found out that the "problem" is part of the new Home Sharing policy, (for those of you who have had an apple TV long enough you know Home Sharing is something new) in this policy it states for Home Sharing to work you must have an internet connection.

My tech support person had no answer to why would the apple TV needs to verify something the computer already knows (i.e. that it is authorized to play this content) but this is supposed to be the case even with AirPlay.

According to them this applies to all content purchased from the iTunes Store played on the Apple TV.

I guess they don't realize they just gave everyone incentive to not buy content from them.

Apple TV no longer works off-line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.