Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove a stubborn aperture plug-in

I have Perfect Effects 4 and also Perfect Effects Suite 7.5. I deleted Per Eff 4 software and checked /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins for any Perf Eff 4 plug-in but none was there. Only Perfect Effects Suite 7.5 was there. Yet when I use "edit with plug-in" in Aperture it still shows Perf Eff 4 and it opens (but with the heading of Perfect Effects Suite 7), but it does not work. There is also a plug-in listed in Aperture for Perfect Effects Suite 7 and it works fine. How can I get rid of the Perf Eff 4 plug-in? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Perfect Effects Suite 7?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 17", I7 - 8 GB RAM, 500 GB

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 10:04 PM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2013 10:33 PM in response to HFDman

Have you also looked in the corresponding installation folder in your user library? Sometimes the installers will install plug-ins only for the user, not system wide - check this folder as well:

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins

Remember, that your user library is hidden in Lion; to reveal the invisible library

• Click on your Desktop to bring the Finder forward.
  • In the Finder Menu press "Go" and hold down the "option/alt" key, until your user library appears in the drop-down menu
  • Select "Library" and in the Finder window that opens navigate to the Application Support folder and open the Aperture plug-ins.

-- Léonie

After removing any plug-ins, log off and log on again; otherwise Aperture may still be reading cached contents and not notice, that the plug-in has been uninstalled.

I don't use Perfect effects - is there no uninstaller in the package, that you downloaded?

Oct 4, 2013 5:44 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply. I have done what you suggest but it but Perf Eff 4 still shows in Aperture as a Plug-In. There were uninstaller programs but they kept hanging up so I deleted files based on OnOne Software support info.

I expect the issue has something to do with Perf Suite 7 installation. I've also sent an email to OnOne Software so I'll wait to see what they say.

Oct 4, 2013 6:59 PM in response to HFDman

Silly question but you did restart Aperture after removing the plug-in?

In the /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/ folder are there sub-folders tabled Edit and Export or are the plug-ins just under the Plug-Ins folder?

So in this folder there is only a file called what? Something that ends with .ApertureEdit.

If you quit Aperture and drag that file to the Desktop and restart Aperture what do you see in the

Photos->Edit with Plug-In menu? If the Edit with menu is now empty drag the export plug-in back and restart Aperture. What do you see?

If after dragging the plug-in out and running Aperture the menu is not empty post back.

How to remove a stubborn aperture plug-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.