Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arris Router then Apple Airport Extreme 7.6.4 DNS Windows Remote Desktop?

I get internet access from Arris router - Atheros AR9285 driver (obtains IP address automatically) - to Apple Airport Extreme 7.6.4 for Wifi to all home gagets. I was able to "Remote Assist" and "Remote Desktop" at home on multi Windows 7s. However, I am having problems outside when traveling because my IP address changes.

So far, I gave permission to window firewall. Next, I added a 3389 port in Apples Airport Extreme. When I am not home. I want to access my home computer. Which IP address do I enter? "What is my IP" is not going to help when I'm not home. That IP is for the Router only anyway. How do I get a static IP address? How do I connect to my super muscle home computer from my wimpy portables?

Apples Airport Extreme-OTHER, Windows 7, "Remote Desktop" on the road.

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 10:48 PM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2013 11:38 PM in response to BettyBoop28

You need a static public IP which you buy from your ISP.. this is not internal LAN IP..

If your ISP cannot supply it or it is too expensive.. then you need to use dynamic DNS.. this is not going to be easy because apple do not include a DDNS client and the global domain name seems to no longer work.

Look at tesserax document on remote access.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

The problem is, that is for Apple clients.. not windows. Is your wimpy portable a windows computer??

Strongly recommend using a VPN router in that case.. relegate the AE to wireless bridge duties.

If the Arris is a modem router then it will probably work.. almost every router in the world has ddns except Apple.

Oct 2, 2013 1:15 AM in response to LaPastenague

I don't know about AE bridge at the moment. Will learn. The Arris is a router, but my internet service provider distributes dynamic IP addresses. I will test the methods prescribed by your attached link.

I have a mixture of wimpy gadgets. Love love love my iPad and iPhone so I went and bought a MacBook Pro only to discover that it couldn't do half the things my iPhone could. Mac versions of the same programs had less features than Windows versions. Words and Pages were no where close to competing with Office. So I had to return it. Just to be fair. I have no idea on how to operate anything Android. I know for sure that it does not have the speak selected. No learn foreign words with assign shortcuts etc...

Remote Desktop is very important because, I can get a tiny paper-thin laptop to remotely run my Smoking Heavy Duty Programing Software anywhere. I hope to get this working soon.

Arris Router then Apple Airport Extreme 7.6.4 DNS Windows Remote Desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.