Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect iPad to Computer

Hello. I wanted to sync my iPad today and I've tried to before I've made the upgrade to iOS 7.0.2 from iOS 7.0.1, but neither worked. Even though iPad pops up on 'My Computer' and I can (only) see the pictures, when I enter iTunes, my device does not show. I've uninstalled and re-installed iTunes as well, but it still does not work.

On top of the iPad where it shows the battery icon, it says 'Not charging' even though it's connected to the computer... HELP please..

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 10:24 PM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2013 9:18 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the input, but I'm not trying to recharge my iPad or upgrade it. It's already been recharged and upgraded. I pointed out that it says it's not charging in case that would help to add more detail to my situation.

I need to connect to iTunes on my iPad because I want to put some stuff in and organize, but regardless of the reason, I want to connect my iPad to iTunes and the problem is that it will not connect.

What confuses me is that the iPad icon shows up on 'My Computer', but it says it's not recharging and does not show on iTunes... I've tried all my USB ports by the way...

Oct 2, 2013 9:26 AM in response to CoolGuyMJL

Not Charging: it is normal for an iPad to show Not Charging when connected to a computer. Most USB ports do not provide enough power to charge an iPad efficiently. So that is not likely any indication of your problem of not being seen in iTunes.

As far as iTunes is concerned:

First make sure you had iTunes 11.1 installed on your computer. If not update iTunes.

Second in iTunes on your computer use the View menu to View Sidebar. That creates a left side sidebar in iTunes. When you connect your iPad while running iTunes it should appear in the left sidebar.

Oct 2, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Ralph9430

Oh okay.. then I guess I don't need to worry about the not charging thing.

And yes, my iTunes is updated to the most recent version (11.1) because I just downloaded it fresh from the website yesterday.

And yes, I already have the menu panel because I always do, but as I've stated in my original post, it doesn't show that my iPad is connected in iTunes.

When I connect my iPod, it connects so there must be something about the iPad.

I forgot to mention, but whenever I re-connect, I keep getting a pop-up that says something like "Can you trust this computer? Trust/Not Trust"

Oct 5, 2013 3:00 PM in response to CoolGuyMJL

This is exactly what is happening to me. Both an iPad and iPod Touch, freshly updated, using latest version of iTunes, followed all typical suggetions from Apple Support pages. When I tap Trust it responds as though I tapped Don't Trust and doesn't appear in iTunes. Appears on my computer. This has to be a problem with the new iTunes or something. Anybody else having this issue?

Oct 29, 2013 5:43 AM in response to CoolGuyMJL

Probably necessary to do complete removal of iTunes software.

For Windows XP - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

For Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

About charging - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4060.

It is correct that the tablet can not be charged from usb port. USB 2.0 ports and accessories do not provide enough power to charge iPad. When this occurs the message "Not Charging" appears in the status bar next to the battery icon.

Although the charge is actually going on, but very slowly.

Oct 29, 2013 5:51 AM in response to CoolGuyMJL

The 'not charging' is a non issue because it's normal. And in a certain way it does confirm that the USB port and the port on your iPad are good. So you know the problem's not there. The connection works, it's the software that has an issue.

Try going into the control panel, 'add/remove programs' and look for something named 'apple mobile device driver' or 'apple mobile device support'....the exact name has changed with different operating systems.

Remove this. All it is basically is the drivers telling your computer what to do with the iDevice. If you want to, go ahead an uninstall iTunes, reboot your comptuer, then reinstall iTunes and plug your device in. See if the driver installs and when your device asks do you trust this computer, say yes. See if that helps.

Dec 25, 2013 6:48 PM in response to CoolGuyMJL

SOLUTION!!!!

I just got my computer today and i had already synced my phone to it and was trying to sync my ipad as well. but i had the same problem, that photos would come up but it wouldn't show up in itunes. I've been working on it for like an hour but here it is:

You need to go into the App Store on your COMPUTER

Click Updates

Update your software

This will restart your computer: BUT IT WORKED FOR ME!

Hope this works for all of you! Sorry if it doesn't....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Jan 17, 2014 7:42 AM in response to bobbyco57

I have the same problem, I have reinstalled itunes and nothing seems to help, when I try to connect my ipad to my computer (with XP windows) I get a window that it was not possible to connect, even though I click "trust the computer" and it shows an unknown error 0xE000003. How can I connect my Ipad to my computer?? I need to put lots of PDfs which I have in my computer to my Ipad.

Feb 12, 2014 6:10 AM in response to CoolGuyMJL

Same problems. Can no longer connect ipad to computer. Both the computer and the ipad go bizerk. The message 'trust this computer' pops up and disappears every second. The computer makes loud noises by the second. The ipad shows up as a device on itunes, then disappears as fast as it showed up, and does this continuously by the second. The charge indicator on the ipad switches from charging to not charging by the second. The Device Manager screen bleeps and dances every second. I get all kinds of errors and warnings, including teh OxE errors. I have loaded and reloaded everything, turned on and turned off and turned on again, disconnected and reconnected and booted and restarted and reset all settings and anything else I can find, everywhere. No difference. I just love wasting lots of time on computers trying to make them work, it is always so rewarding. I have tried everything I can find in all the blogs and logs. Still not able to connect and sync ipad. Can you say aggravated?

Aug 18, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Eugene.kiev

hi, i had a similar situaiton with iPad, when i connected to computer (iMac) to update music, iPhoto, kept on popping up, and popping up, and other pop ups telling me my iPad wasn't connected, and the battery charger light was blinking green to gray every milli-second.....Itunes would recognize my iPad, but then it would disappear, or a pop up would show that my iPad wasn't connected, etc., very frustrating to say the least, especially with the iPhoto situation.....but I took your advice, went to App store, hit updates, and as I type, the iPad is restoring, we'll see...

Can't connect iPad to Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.