2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2013 8:39 AM by hands4
nick_harambee Level 1 (5 points)

I have been using an Apple thunderbolt to VGA adapter to connect my digital projector to a Macbook Air.  Now I need to also connect a pro audio firewire mixer, which has a firewire 400 cable.  If I didn't have to connect the projector as well, I presume that the way to go would be to use an Apple thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter with an 800 to 400 adapter on the end, but as I have two devices I am rather stumped.


I know that thunderbolt/mini display is for daisy chaining, so there isn't such a thing as a thunderbolt hub, except that I could maybe use the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (expensive as it is, it may be a cheaper option than others).  I have read mixed reviews of this device, but it looks like it could essentially work - one thunderbolt cable to connect the Macbook to the dock, then use the Firewire 800 port on the dock with an 800-400 adapter for the mixer and the second thunderbolt port on the dock for the projector with the VGA adapter.  I am wondering if there are any other possible solutions though, other than buying a Macbook Pro!





MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM