Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my mac to require password for shutdown

I have a mac book air running OS X 10.8.5.

I want my mac to require a password when shutting down. Is that possible?

I've googled it but I can't find anything.

I want to be the only one that can shut down my computer on the button, som that others can't shut down by mistake or on purpose.

Thanks for help in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 1:02 AM

6 replies

Oct 8, 2013 6:11 AM in response to lhpg

I would like to know why you want this feature. To me it isn't needed in any way. If you are trying to guard against someone walking by your computer and them shutting it down without saving work you are doing there is a work around. Just put the system to sleep and have it set to ask for a password to gain access.

But that doesn't stop someone from holding down the power button to Force shut it down and even if you had this password to shut down feature that same thing can happen, Power Button held down until the system turns off.

So if I needed to shut down any modern computer, notebook or desktop, no matter if it asked for a password or not to shut down, all I'd have to do is hold down the power button for about 5-10 seconds and the system would power down. Totally defeating the password prompt.

How do I get my mac to require password for shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.