Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Final Cut Express 4 won't launch on OS X 10.6.8. There are no new updates to install. Haven't changed computer. Apple's update rendered the program I bought for 200 euro useless! UNACCEPTABLE!

From googling this issue I see that this is a problem many people have encountered. But when installing all available updates (and even trying to remove the cache file that some suggest) don't even work, what is there left to do?

I bought the program when I bought my iMac at a licensed dealer about three years ago. Later uninstalled it because I was very, very disappointed with the actual features of this 200 euro program (basicly just an expanded iMovie - yes, I felt ripped off). Now I need something to edit and figured I'd install it again. And so I did. But when I try and launch the program it starts and then doesn't show up. Nothing happens.

I managed to capture the split-second message that comes on screen before it closes. Translate from Danish: Should the program "Final Cut Express.app" accept incoming network connections?

Managed to click both, but nothing changes. And I have tried turning off firewall and everything. Doesn't make the slightest difference.

L

<Edited By Host>

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:25 AM

9 replies

Oct 3, 2013 12:54 AM in response to Alchroma

Thanks for the suggestion, Al.

I chose the "compatible" option, as I read somewhere that would be a good idea, as this/these also seem to erase some important things (codecs) from other programs (iMovie?).

Didn't seem to help, sadly. Upon reinstalling the program it didn't even ask for the serial this time (still remembers? Odd).

I've tried installing the update required as well. Doesn't make any difference.

Whenever I start the program it just stops and reverts back to Finder in the top menu.

L

PS: I noticed my original post now says "<Edited By Host>" at the bottome. Was I censored?!

Oct 3, 2013 5:52 PM in response to LarsDAarhus

Do you have any non-Apple plug-ins or Apps loaded? Some of these can upset FCE.

LarsDAarhus wrote:

PS: I noticed my original post now says "<Edited By Host>" at the bottome. Was I censored?!

The Hosts must have not liked something.

If it was serious you would have recieved an email.

BTW: All of us are users not Apple employees on the forums unless there is a note saying so. eg. edited by host.

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/index.html

Al

Oct 19, 2013 4:43 PM in response to LarsDAarhus

I ran into this yesterday from 10.4.11 to 10.6.8. I even erased the drive and reinstalled 10.4.11 then went to 10.5.4 and the same thing. I spent many hours trying to figure this out and of coarse the Apple forum was down. Then I updated Quicktime to 7.6.x (did this because Itunes was crying for it) and guess what... FCE worked again.

Oct 20, 2013 7:32 AM in response to Russ One

Yes,there's nothing wrong with FCE 4 and as long as you have all the updates for the computer it should work on any OS ......... except some people have reported problems with the latest Mountain Lion.

Lars ....... in your original post you made a totally incorrect statement saying that FCE was (basicly just an expanded iMovie - yes, I felt ripped off)

FCE is nothing like iMovie in any way, as it is actually a slightly cut-down version of the 900 euro Final Cut Pro.

If you think it has not got many features, you mustn't have found them, as it is to all intents and purposes as fully-featured as any pro editing app.

As a pro app it's not something you can simply install and use immediately ......... unless you are already familiar with pro editing.

It can take weeks or more to become familiar with its basic features.

Oct 21, 2013 7:57 AM in response to LarsDAarhus

Hello Lars,

Do you have more than one account on your Mac?

Did you install FCE in an admin account or a user account?

The behavior you describe sounds like it was installed in a user account. FCE needs to be installed in an admin account and run at least once there before being run in regular user accounts; otherwise it will not run in ordinary user accounts on a Mac.

Also, what version(s) of QuickTime do you have on your Mac?

And by any chance do you have Final Cut Express installed on any other Macs? Especially any other Macs on the same network as this Mac?

My Final Cut Express 4 won't launch on OS X 10.6.8. There are no new updates to install. Haven't changed computer. Apple's update rendered the program I bought for 200 euro useless! UNACCEPTABLE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.