Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has my HD failed?

I was editing photos in Lightroom when my Macbook started to lag a bit. This was an infrequent occurence so I didn;t panic. After it froze for 5 minutes, I forced it off by holding the power button. When I restarted it the usual Apple logo and spinning cog appeared. After a while, the Apple logo changed to an error symbol (a circle with a slash through it). After trying to restard multiple times, I ended up getting another error symbol - a flashing folder with a question mark. Now I've looked online and this is apparently a problem with the system files.

After looking online, I followed instructions to reinstall a new verson of OSX. Since I have everything backed up, I'm okay with installing a fresh copy. I installed my disc (SL, I have ML) and followed on screen instructions. Once I was at the page where it asks where I'd like to install SL, there was no disc to click. I also had a look at the Disk Utility. Again, there was no Macintosh HD to be seen.

I really hope someone can help me with this. Any more info I'll be happy to give.

Thanks guys.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:27 AM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2013 3:06 AM in response to LaRizzo

Your disk has failed. If it can't be seen by Disk Utility, it's likely beyond repair. It's excellent that you have backups - you're going to need them.

I would suggest shopping around for a new disk - OWC is a good place to start. Deceide what capacity you want, if you can use SATA III and what rpm you're looking for. Then narrow your search.

Installing a new HD is very simple - many videos on YouTube will show you precisely what to do.

If you want to even try to rescue some of the data on your disk, buy a USB enclosure for your old drive. You may be able, even with the help of third-party utilities, to recover some data.

Good luck,

Clinton

Has my HD failed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.