Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reconnecting media after frame rate change

Shane Ross wrote a reply ( see below ) to a person that had the same problem as I am now.

I shot with HVX200 using the Firestore that converted footage to 59.94. Then, mid-project I shot with the P2 which shot at 24. I now have 2 diff. frame rates

I tested some clips in Compressor comverting the 24 to 59.94.

Using FCP Studio 2 , I was unable to reconnect the media without the in/out points being off with varying degrees. Doing an entire re-edit will be painful.

QUESTION : Do I really have to convert the 24 to 59.94? Would it significantly affect output?

The codec is the same for all footage. ( DVC PRO HD 720P. )

THANKS!

[elizabeth charles] "My question is, is there anyway to change the files in my timeline to the conformed files without having to begin my editing again?"

Nope.

You did a bad thing. Editing, finishing, then changing the frame rate of your masters. FCP cannot reconnect to media with differing frame rates. Because the duration of the footage is different, and the frame rate is different. The footage has the same amount of frames..., but now they play at a different frame rate, so the duration is different. You'll have to re-edit with the new masters.

But...RECONFORM...that changes the frame rate, as well as the speed in which they play. 30fps conformed to 24fps will play in slight slow motion. If you want the footage to play at a different frame rate, but the same speed...normal speed...you need to use Compressor.

Shane

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), FCS 2

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 8:20 AM

There's a right way and there's a wrong way. You may get away without converting the frame rate but your results will be unpredictable AND the quality of the frame rate adjustment that FCP will make with this workflow will probably not look as good as doing this properly in compressor. If you decide to go the compressor route, be sure and set the retiming to best in frame controls.

Replacing the footage after conversion should not be that difficult. eyematching and using the gang function to confirm that you've matched the shot correctly goes pretty quickly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2013 8:20 AM in response to LawrenceFerr01

There's a right way and there's a wrong way. You may get away without converting the frame rate but your results will be unpredictable AND the quality of the frame rate adjustment that FCP will make with this workflow will probably not look as good as doing this properly in compressor. If you decide to go the compressor route, be sure and set the retiming to best in frame controls.

Replacing the footage after conversion should not be that difficult. eyematching and using the gang function to confirm that you've matched the shot correctly goes pretty quickly.

Oct 3, 2013 11:27 AM in response to LawrenceFerr01

gang allows you to lock the viewer and canvas together so when you move one, the other moves the same amount. To match back your footage, you find a frame with a clear difference from the previous frame, for example when someone blinks. You then find the blink on the new source file in the viewer and then turn on the gang function User uploaded fileIt's the center thingamagic at the top of the canvas. You then jump around the shot in the canvas and make sure the movement in the viewer matches. you then find the in in the canvas and mark an in in the viewer, etc and replace the shot. If this isn't clear post back.

In compressor in the frame controls panel, you enable frame controls and set the rate conversion to best.

Reconnecting media after frame rate change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.