6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2013 8:35 AM by léonie
DLScreative Level 4 Level 4 (1,595 points)

I tried to import an old library, and I got a message saying that I needed to update the old library before importing. OK so I relaunched the application and updated the old library no problem.  Then I tried to launch the main library and got this:

A3Warning.jpg

All other libraries are working fine, and the only thing I did to this library is attempt to import a library that hadn't been updated.  I haven't lost images, but I have lost several hours of busy work.

I'm not too hopeful about finding a solution though suggestions are welcome.  I just want to say MAKE SURE OLDER LIBRARIES ARE UP TO DATE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO IMPORT THEM.

DLS

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.2GHz quad i7/8GB RAM/1GB VRAM
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

and the only thing I did to this library is attempt to import a library that hadn't been updated.

Thanks for the warning, DLS. That is really puzzling.

Such warning panels as you posted, usually are accompanied by an error log or a crash log. Was there anything like that?

• DLScreative Level 4 Level 4 (1,595 points)

There was no crash.  There was no event at all except the message telling me to update the old library before importing it.  This oh so helpful dialog box is all I get.

DLS

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

Have tried a repair on ths library?  The fact that this happened after the opening and then upgrading of the old library might just be coincidence.

I wouldn;t be to concerned if the repair fixes it and it doesn;t happen again.

When I launch the library in repair mode, I get the expected dialog, but nothing happens when I click repair. I mean the dialog disappears and Aperture is not running.  I guess I've got nothing to lose by trying rebuild so I'll give it shot.

I also tried repairing the disk, but Disk Utility found no problems. I even tried copying the whole library to another drive.

I guess it could be a coincidence, but I find that very difficult to believe.

DLS

Frank, I attempted to repair the database last night to no avail, and I hadn't intended to revisit that dialog box. Your post prompted me to go back and try the "nuclear option"- Rebuild Database.  It worked! 

WHEW: the several hours of busy work that would have been lost was from my wife choosing images for her new office. I set her up with keyword buttons and smart albums, and I thought I was so very clever to set it up so a layperson could do it. Then I didn't backup her work. Therefore, while I wouldn't have lost any images, I would have earned myself a prominent place in the DOG HOUSE.

Tech stuff: the library that I tried to import was an 8GB 3.2.3 library.

I think it's good practice to open older libraries as stand alone before importing them.  That's what I'll do in the future.  This was sloppy.

DLS

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

I think it's good practice to open older libraries as stand alone before importing them. 

I'd always repair all libraries before trying to upgrade them and merge them into a different library. It should not matter with incremental upgrades but some upgrades have caused major changes to the libraries.