Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to bulk delete duplicate photos in iphoto?

My Iphoto on my mac contains multiple duplicates of my photos. I assume this is because of automatic syncing with my iphone,

so I have turned of the sharing until I figure it out.

But is there a way to get rid of all the duplicates quickly without going through them all??

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 9:46 AM

45 replies

Oct 2, 2013 10:03 AM in response to lwebb1508

You can use one of these applications to identify and remove duplicate photos from an iPhoto Library:

OT

Jan 3, 2014 5:12 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks ! I will make a suggestion for deletion of photo duplicates.

I have this problem too as I have downloaded iphone photos due to phones crashing etc., making sure we didn't lose the photos. Although they were in the icloud stream, I do like to have a backup when a device has a problem.

Solution for us now is something I read online by a blogger is to download monthly and then create monthly events then create albums from events for more organization and to help with duplication. Just have to clean up the old stuff and make those backups on external drives.

Jan 30, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Kurt Triffet

actually it is not a big problem - iPhoto is very good about keeping duplicates out so few people have this issue - duplicates in iPhoto are strictly caused by user actions importing things multiple times or other user errors like importing one iPhoto library into another one (which should NEVER be done)

and IMHO everyone should have IPLM around - it is a great utility for making better use of iPhoto - it is NOT a fix for duplicates although it can do that

LN

Jan 30, 2014 11:46 AM in response to LarryHN

Since you cannot bulk delete images from an iPhone unless you copy them down into iPhoto and put them into a folder (at which point you are allowed to delete those originals), it's very easy to accumulate duplicates when you sync. This can snowball into a bigger problem later.

Judging from all the pages on dealing with removing duplicates that come up in a Google search, it's enough of a problem to have paid more attention to.

People should often not do a lot of things ;-), but unless effort is made to make it intuitive and easy to avoid an issue, these kinds of user problems will always occur. Apple is usually quite good at this, which is why I might give them less slack ;-)

Jan 30, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Kurt Triffet

Humm - now that you posted that article I see clearly that your question is about how to give up photos you love of your grandkids - rather than what you originally ask of how to get rid of duplicates - My answer is simple - don't - keep them all - that is why I have 65,000 photos (more than double the grandmother's iPhoto size)

Basically to the revised question is only you can decide what to keep[ and what to get rid of - but looking thorough them to decide is fun

Enjoy

LN

How to bulk delete duplicate photos in iphoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.