Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting PDF into iBooks from Mail with IOS 7?

OK, on my iPad 3......pre IOS 7, someone coud emal me a PDF and I would click it in Mail and it would give me the "OPTION" to view or open in iBooks. Because I wanted it in iBooks, I would click that and all was good.

NOW with IOS 7.....I get this "Preview" of the PDF.....when I click it, I get "Save Image" or "Copy".

If I click Save Image, it puts something in my Camera Roll that I cannot even see? If I hit Copy, I guess it's on the Clipboard...but I still cannot get it into iBooks.

HOW DO I GET A PDF that was emailed to me from Mail to iBooks using IOS 7????

Thanks for your help.

Yours,

Kirk

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 12:23 PM

39 replies

Oct 5, 2013 7:04 PM in response to KirkVoclain

I tested this in the stock mail App and Yahoo mail App both offer an option to "open...." and iBooks is one of the options available.

Once you open the PDF and tap on the screen, do you see an icon on the top right?

I suspect the original is not a "document", but a picture, even if it says it's in PDF form.

For example: If you scan a document into Pages or Preview, it appears as a PDF, but will not show as a document, but as a photo. It can't be edited, and will email as a photo.

Test it. Email a document you typed on the Mac. It should work correctly.

What source is the PDF you are trying to open?

Oct 7, 2013 7:49 AM in response to lizdance40

lizdance40:

OK...here is what it is.......

I open a WORD Document on my Mac using MS Word 2008 for Mac Version 12.3.6 (130206) Latest Installed Update: 12.3.6.

I then click SAVE AS: and I choose PDF.

I then email that PDF to myself via standard Mac Mail...and recieve it in my iPad via standard Mail.

It shows up as a photo....I click on it in MAIL on my iPad and I only have the OPTION to "Save Image"...and that puts it in the Camera Roll...but not as a PDF or....COPY....and I can't do anything with that.

NEXT....I tried it this way.

I open the document in MS WORD....click PRINT...then PDF from my MAC....and save it as a PDF.....do that same thing above...and I get the same results.

So...it is NOT a photo...it is a MS WORD Document.....I have tried this not only on my iPAD but also on an iPHONE 5 running IOS7 and get the same results.

HOW DO I FIX THIS?????

AS INFO.........

If I SAVE the PDF to something like Dropbox....then got to Dropbox on my iPad or phone...then click it I have the option to put it in iBooks...and it works perfectly.......

So...the "ISSUE" to me is not with the PDF....as it does work when saved that way...the issue is with IOS7 and how it views a PDF in Mail.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Kirk

Oct 7, 2013 8:39 AM in response to KirkVoclain

Huh. I can't seem to reproduce your problem. I also have a Mac, an iPad and have updated to ios7. What I don't have is Word 2008. I ordered Microsoft Office this week, not installed yet. I will let you know if I have the same problem when I do.

In the mean time:

Do you have other options for sending word documents so that they arrive in document form?

You mentioned you choose either "save as PDF" or "Print, then save as PDF". Do you have an option to email from Word? Just thinking out loud....

I also use Dropbox to save anything I may need to access from another device at a future date. Love it, very handy App. As you mentioned, once in Dropbox, you can open, print, mail or whatever with the documents and photos. You can also mail from Dropbox to another person, that doesn't have Dropbox, and they can open and use the document. I use Yahoo mail, on the Mac! Yahoo has an option to attach Dropbox files. I don't have the same option on the iPad Yahoo app?! but have no problem mailing straight from Dropbox.

It is also worth sending feedback to both Microsoft and Apple.

Oct 7, 2013 9:09 AM in response to KirkVoclain

KirkVoclain wrote:

So...it is NOT a photo...it is a MS WORD Document.....I have tried this not only on my iPAD but also on an iPHONE 5 running IOS7 and get the same results.

Using Word 2011 I could not duplicate your problem. Definitely Mail on you devices is not behaving properly. That it would act that way on both of them is truly odd. Other than quitting the app and resetting the device the only thing to try would be a restore, which may not be worth the trouble.

Oct 11, 2013 10:09 AM in response to KirkVoclain

I had exactly the same problem, in frustration I just held my finger against the screen and suddenly up popped a box with icons for message, mail, open in iBooks, etc. I clicked on open in iBooks and it seems to have worked!

Tried with a few more pdf attachments and it seems to work, but you need to press the 'preview' for a several seconds before the action box appears.

Getting PDF into iBooks from Mail with IOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.