Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Spport on Windows

my new iphone 5s cannot be recognized by itune

I installed the newest version of itune

The itune asked me to uninstall the apple mobile device support and intue

because i need newer version of apple mobile device support

I tried to uninstall the apple mobile device support

but it still in the list of my programs and features

Is there some other way to uninstall the apple mobile device support?

thanks a lot

iPhone 5s, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 12:41 PM

9 replies

Oct 4, 2013 7:17 AM in response to skyor

Hello there, Skyor.

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes has to be done in a very specific fashion. The following knowledge Base article give you the step by step:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro D.

Jan 25, 2014 8:01 PM in response to pedro d

I followed the directions in the link you posted, but Apple Mobile Device Support will not uninstall. I stopped the process in Task Manager and it still will not uninstall. When I type in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\ there is still a folder with several files in it. Can I just delete these files (will it even let me do that)? I have gone ahead and uninstalled the Bonjour and Apple Application Support items, even though they are on the list to be unstalled after the Mobile Device Support. Please let me know what I should do next. Thank you!

Jan 26, 2014 1:12 AM in response to kumukala

I've had the same issue today after an unsuccessful update for iTunes. I ended up manually uninstalling Apple Mobile Device Support from the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\ (also under removed files from C:\Program Files (x86) just to be sure) and the reinstallations have all gone fine. I did make a copy of both folders as a backup first. So doing what you queried Kumukala for me worked fine on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Jan 27, 2014 9:10 AM in response to Tiinsky

Thanks for the advice Tiinsky. I had that same issue today unable to uninstall using control panel and by deleting the Mobile Device Support folders under those two program file folders you mentioned I was then able to successfully remove Apple Mobile Device Support under control panel then my resinstall of iTunes finally worked.

Feb 1, 2014 1:50 PM in response to rebblake

I tried this and was having trouble uninstalling at first. It might sound counter-intuitive, but I got it to work by first repairing the installation of Apple Mobile Device Support through the Control Panel. After that, I was able to successfully uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support through the Control Panel.

Feb 1, 2014 8:31 PM in response to Tiinsky

Thanks, Tiinsky. I followed your instructions (deleting the Apple Mobile Device Support folder under C:) \Program FIles\Common Files\Apple and this seems to have done the trick.

Incidentally, even after doing so, I was still unable to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support through the control panel. It would go three-quarters of the way through the process and then roll back the whole uninstallation.

However, removing those folders did allow me to successfully re-install iTunes--something I hadn't been able to do before. Previously, it would stall out and give me an error message reading "Service 'Apple Mobile Device' failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" with the choices Retry Abort Ignore--none of which worked.

My operating system is Vista.

May 12, 2015 2:06 PM in response to skyor

I have followed and tried all suggestions in this post. Still no luck. I last tried the above...repair AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Support) then uninstalled everything apple using revouninstall (free), some additional files should be removed full details (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23959/completely-remove-itunes-and-other-apple-so ftware-from-a-windows-computer/) even when I uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times still not working.

Itunes finds my device (icon shown in itunes) but on my iphone (5s) still shows "connect cable picture on the phone screen. In "device manager" it shows 2 iphone devices (only one connected to pc). I right clicked first one "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode) tried to "update software" no joy. Clicked on "properties" got new error "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

I am using windows 8.

I do NOT want to hit restore button as it will get the phone working again but I will lose everything. Please HELP!

How to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Spport on Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.