Scheduled Maintenance on July 16th

The Apple Support Community ‘Search’ functionality will temporarily be unavailable July 16th, 1:00am – 3:00am PDT. Thank you for your patience as we work behind the scenes to improve the community.

Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove item from Menu bar?

There is an "icon" item in my Menu Bar (with a yellow triangle & exclamation mark) that refers to an (?) application named "Snapshot".

I cannot find anything using Spotlight or manual search by the name Snapshot on my MBP.

How can I remove this "thing" from my Menu (and MBP)?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 8GB SDRAM; 750GB HD

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 1:49 PM

Command-click it and drag it out of the menu bar. If that doesn't work, find and use an uninstaller for the software it's associated with.

(90410)

32 replies

Oct 2, 2013 1:55 PM in response to Niel

Command-click does not work to remove. It just causes the drop-down menu where the name Snapshot etc. appears.

Only software uninstaller I have is Appzapper, but I cannot use that since I cannot find anything (outside Menu Bar) called Snapshot.

-- and I have no idea "for the software it's associated with."

Oct 2, 2013 2:35 PM in response to pwwwayne

Download and use Find Any File to search for "snapshot". FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like system folders, invisible folders and packages. In the search results window you can see where the different files with snapshot in the file name reside and elect to move them to the Trash. You may have to relaunch the Finder via the  ➙ Force Quit menu option.

OT

Oct 2, 2013 2:36 PM in response to pwwwayne

try looking through your library folder.

finder > go > hold alt > go to library

look specifically in:

launchagents

caches

preferences

application support

after that go into your mac hd library and look in:

application support

caches

launch agents

launch daemons

preferences

remove anything dealing with that application snapshot, if you find it.

after you remove them into the trash, empty, restart machine, see if it's still up there.

Oct 2, 2013 2:47 PM in response to pwwwayne

pwwwayne wrote:

Command-click does not work to remove. It just causes the drop-down menu where the name Snapshot etc. appears.

Not all menu bar items are technically the same. The ones you can't Command-drag off are a different type that are more like applications. They usually have a menu with a Quit command on it.

If there is no Quit command, you can quit it from Activity Monitor if you know its name. If you don't know its name, drop its menu and look for an About command. If it doesn't have a Quit or About command and can't be Command-dragged off, it is an unusual menu item.

How to remove item from Menu bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.