Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled water on macbook pro retina keyboard, what possibly happened and how much to get it fixed?

Ok, so the other night I spilled a little bit of water on my macbook pro retina 15 keyboard and speakers on right side. After this I quickly turned it off and turned it over to let it drain out for about 3 hours or so. After this I turned it on (stupidly) and the keyboard and trac pad were messing up as the trac pad was going crazy and the letters on the keyboard wouldn't work. So i figured there was still a little bit of water on the keyboard so i was about to turn it back over then it turned off. So i thought it may have run out of battery so i plugged it in and the light wouldn't come on. So I left it upside down for about 24 hours after that and then i plugged it in and the charging light came on but it wouldn't turn on. However, when i press the power key the orange light on the charger turns to green as if it was fully charged then when i let go of it it turn back to orange as it it went back to charging. So what i'm asking is what are the parts that likely got damaged and around how much will it probably cost to get it repaired as i have heard anywhere in the range of $300-$1500.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:44 PM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2013 2:50 PM in response to SpenceM777

Most likely your logicboard, at the least. But, there is really no way to tell, even with your description. Water corrodes internal components over time, even after it has dried. The only way to get a definitive diagnosis and estimate is to bring your machine into Apple (the diagnosis and estimate are free).

In the future, do not try and troubleshoot this problem. You will only make it worse. The only thing you can do is bring your machine in as soon as possible for servicing.

Spilled water on macbook pro retina keyboard, what possibly happened and how much to get it fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.