Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLife '11 System requirements?

"Not readable by this computer" would tend to indicate the iLife '11 install DVD cannot be read on a Core2Duo iMac running OS 10.6.8.

Apple's support document <iLife: System requirements> ends with iLife '09, system requirements for '11 are nowhere to be found on Apple's iLife site/pages.

The iLife '11 box says: "Intel processor, 1GB RAM, 5GB disk space, DVD drive, 10.6.3 or later" then refers to the document above for more info.

A search of Apple's app store for "iLife" or "iLife '11" turns up no iLife and no iLife DVD, only individual iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand:

iPhoto '11 requires 10.7.5 or later, no CPU specs.

iMovie '11 requires 10.7.4, no CPU specs.

Garage Band requires 10.6.8 or later (suggesting it's been abandoned), no CPU specs.

No iWeb, no iDVD..... and cannot download any of it from the app store anyway.

So why can't a machine with "Intel processor, 1GB RAM, 5GB disk space, DVD drive, 10.6.3 or later" even READ the install DVD in the box?

We went looking for iPhoto for OS 10.6.8 - like it says on the iLife DVD box - but apparently iPhoto version 8.1.2 is what we need. Was it part of iLife '09?

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:31 PM

SOunds like a defective or damaged DVD or defective DVD reader - iLife '11 can be used with OS X 10.6.8

YOu can not purchase a version of iPhoto '11 on teh App store for 10.6.8 - onluy on teh iLife DVD

iLife '09 will also work on 10.6.8

LN

5 replies

Oct 2, 2013 3:08 PM in response to LarryHN

That was my first thought, too - afterall, specs on the box were all correct - which is why I brought two external DVD drives with me. Two of the (total) three drives spun up the disk and tried to read it until they timed out and ejected. Third drive produced "not readable" error message with "Ignore" and "Eject" options.

I have another iLife 11 disk, have to go back there now, again, will try _it_ in all three drives, but I think the (impossible to find) system specs for iLife '11 on the app store says it all: 10.7.5 or later, despite what it says ON THE BOX.

DVD was immaculate BTW, not so much as a fingerprint on it, was brand new.

Oct 2, 2013 3:48 PM in response to Motorcycle Michael

iLife 11 is the transition for optical media to selling on the App Store. It's had - by far - the longest lifespan of any of the iLifes, been released about three years ago, in the second half of 2010. The app that was released then is a rather distant cousin to the current version - 9.4.3.

Nowadays there really is no iLife package. The three remaining apps (iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband) are free with a new mac and can be purchased from the App Store. It's the only way to buy them.

But back in 2010 the original iPhoto 11 was released on disk and will install on 10.6 - up to version 9.2.3.

So, there are no longer System Requirements documents for iPhoto 11 as the App Store simply won't sell to you if your machine doesn't meet the requirements.

Oct 2, 2013 4:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you, Terence. Quite right, lots of changes, versions, Systems. Confusing as all get out! And the only thing worse than no information is wrong information. Would be nice to see that iLife requirements doc HT3876 get updated. Didn't stick around long enough to know which version of iPhoto I had, but it was wanting to update immediately.

Larry called it, was a bad DVD. My (family pack iLife '11) DVD installed perfectly on that Core2Duo/10.6.8. iMac. Defective DVD will have to go back to Amazon or wherever it came from. Too bad Apple refuses to sell anything that's more than a week old, gives rise to situations just like this one.

Thank you gentlemen!

Noooo! I did NOT just click my own 'solved' button, did I? I clicked Larry's! Dang! Undo! Undo!

Larry, I'm sorry, I can't fix it. You were RIGHT. I'm going back to a pad and pencil now....

iLife '11 System requirements?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.