Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grr. Talk to text doesn't work on iPhone 5 since iOS 7 upgrade

Did a hard reset, restarted Siri and nada. The blue circle just goes around and around. Oh, how I regret installing that cursed "upgrade". Anyone else? :-(

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2, Talk to text kaput

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 2:58 PM

11 replies

Oct 2, 2013 3:08 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

And you know this how? I hate it when people get defensive. Look, plenty of people are having the same issue (including friends). This happened the second the upgrade finished. In addition, I travel daily and no matter where I am in the country, it's the same. There goes that theory. Chill people or do you work for Apple? I am simply asking for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, not snarky comments. Sheesh.

Oct 2, 2013 3:12 PM in response to CyndyS

CyndyS wrote:

And you know this how? I hate it when people get defensive. Look, plenty of people are having the same issue (including friends). This happened the second the upgrade finished. In addition, I travel daily and no matter where I am in the country, it's the same. There goes that theory. Chill people or do you work for Apple? I am simply asking for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, not snarky comments. Sheesh.

Explain to me how calling the upgrade 'cursed' wasn't snarky?

How do I know? Because my Siri, on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7, works just perfectly. Therefore, it's not the iOS that's causing the issue.

This is called basic logic. If it was being caused by the iOS, then EVERYONE with that iOS would have the SAME problem.

The root cause lies elsewhere, and the most logical explanation is your network or the server.

Oct 4, 2013 3:17 PM in response to CyndyS

I am having the exact same issue! And when it finally does work, it's nowhere close to what I actually said. Example: I spoke "Up to you." It took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to load and finally input "Jim." How in the **** does that sound the same as what I said?! Also, I used to be able to say "question mark" or "exclamation point" to add punctuation. Now, when I say those things, it literally TYPES OUT THE WORDS "question mark". Freaking kidding me? I have a Verizon iPhone 5.

Oct 4, 2013 5:54 PM in response to sfgchick

Sfg to fix your problem, go check the language Siri is set to

I had same issue where saying "period" should have gotten."." It was on British English

As to everyone else with the blue spinning wheel...

There are HOW MANY new phones that can use Siri? Networks are overloaded. It's NOT a phone or iOS issue. It's overload or too much traffic

Your local providers maybe can't handle it. Maybe apple Siri is overloaded. PLEASE STOP GIVING BAS PRESS BY SAYING ITS A BAD IOS.

Try voice to text at 2am. It will probably work then, meaning it's overloaded

Keep calm and Siri on

Aug 14, 2014 9:41 AM in response to CyndyS

At the risk of another episode of replies that some may label "snarky" I have the same problem. I'm not sure when it started. The first couple of times I experienced it, I was not connected to a wi-fi source and figured that it was just having a problem connecting. Since then, I have discovered that the little circle keeps spinning regardless of whether I am connected to wifi or using up my cell data.

Interestingly, Siri works when I ask directions or some other question. But, speech to text in mail or messages does not.

FYI, I have a 5S and am on the Verizon network.

Bill Allison

Aug 14, 2014 12:50 PM in response to wtallison

And what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Basic Troubleshooting Steps when all else fails

- Quit the App by opening multi-tasking bar, and swiping the App upward to make it disappear. (For iOS 6, holding down the icon for the App for about 3-5 seconds, and then tap the red circle with the white minus sign.)

- Relaunch the App and try again.
- Restart the device. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

- Reset the device. (Same article as above.)

- Reset All Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings)

- Restore from backup. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766 (If you don't have a backup, make one now, then skip to the next step.)

- Restore as new device. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137
For this step, do not re-download ANYTHING, and do not sign into your Apple ID.

- Test the issue after each step. If the last one does not resolve the issue, it is likely a hardware problem.

Grr. Talk to text doesn't work on iPhone 5 since iOS 7 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.