Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture stretches or distorts some photos?

Hi guys!

New to the forums, new to Aperture! Had a quick search and found a kind of answer, but am hoping for something better!

Have recently made the transition from iPhoto to Aperture and am enjoying it very much. However am experiencing what seems to be a bug or glitch that I'm hoping there is a fix or work around that helps my workflow.

Some of the photos imported from my iPhoto seems to display incorrectly in Aperture. Typically they appear ok in the thumb, until I click them and then they often crop right into one corner of the photo, or stretch or squash to on one edge of the frame or just generally bug out. I can find no way of reverting this except (as suggested by one forum discussion) go back to iPhoto and reset the thumb. This works (phew!) so the photos are not lost, but it's a real pain and defeats the point in using Aperture to some extent as I have to keep reverting back to iPhoto. Seems mad that iPhoto handles the photos better than Aperture, no?

So does anyone know what causes this, is there a clean way to fix this or is there a swift work around that doesn't involve dipping in and out of programs? I have literally tens of thousands of photos so if there is a way to blanket fix the whole lot rather than manually fix each problem photo, that would be even better!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Using iPhoto 11

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 3:11 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2013 9:21 AM in response to William Lloyd

Yeah, I wondered if that would help, but all I get is the message "None of the selected images needed reprocessing" and it makes no difference to the photo/thumb 😕

I also tried 'Update Preview' and got the message "The selected item was externally edited in iPhoto and cannot be updated" - For some photos I assumed it was because I had made adjustments to the photo within iPhoto but I just did a test on one photo and aside from adjusting the orientation, it doesn't appear that I've done anything to the photo in iPhoto.

That's pretty crazy if it's all the photos that have been manipulated in iPhoto, I thought these things were supposed to play well together? That's why I bought Aperture!

Oct 3, 2013 7:42 PM in response to crstokes

Have you tried any of the standard Aperture trouble-shooting steps?

There may be similar steps for iPhoto. If you don't mind losing recent changes, I would try to repair your iPhoto Library before opening it in Aperture, then open it in Aperture and run "Repair".

I will ask our local iPhoto/Aperture maven -- the estimable Léonie -- to have a look at this thread.

Oct 4, 2013 12:52 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

There may be similar steps for iPhoto. If you don't mind losing recent changes, I would try to repair your iPhoto Library before opening it in Aperture, then open it in Aperture and run "Repair".

Repairing the library in iPhoto works the same as repairing in Aperture. Hold down the option-command key ⌥⌘ combination firmly while double clicking the iPhoto icon to launch the First Aid Tools. Hold down the keys, until the panel appears. Try all options, starting with rebuild thumbnails.

Make sure you have a backup of the library, before you try this.

Oct 8, 2013 2:53 AM in response to léonie

Just tried this (starting with rebuild thumbnails) and it seems to have done the trick! Images still appear stretched in the Aperture thumb, but now, when I click them, they reset to how they should look!

Thank you so much to everyone for your help! Let me know if there is a way I can 'up' you in the forums and I shall 🙂

Thank you all

Chris

Aperture stretches or distorts some photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.