Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can your encrypted files still be accessed if someone is able to log on to your computer ? Also, is there a difference in computer performance when using FireVault2? I am new to the iMac world and just purchased y first Apple computer 8 days ago.

I just purchased and received my first Apple computer last week. I am trying to decide if I should encrypt the hard drive using FireVault 2.

I am concerned about it reducing of slowing the computer's performance.

Also, can someone still access your encrypted files if the computer has been logged on?

Does FireVault require a second password to decrypt the file or are all files accessible once the computer has been logged on?

Please provide as much information as you can. Thank You.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), FireVault 2 Performance & Passwords

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 4:15 PM

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790

And no, filevault 2 does not reduce the computers performance.

4 replies

Oct 2, 2013 5:38 PM in response to ascanes

With Filevault 2 the whole of the Macintosh HD is encrypted and is decrypted at boot.

If you lose or forget the password and have not registered your decryption key with Apple Support the data cannot be decrypted and is safe from everyone forever - or lost if you want to look at it from a different angle.

Filevault will also force the use of a password to log in every time the mac boots or wakes from sleep.

Be sure that you really need that level of security and are aware that if the password and recovery key are lost or forgotten the data is effectively gone.

You will not be able to reset forgotten passwords through the Recovery HD utility with Filevault enabled.

If you also choose to encrypt your Time Machine Backup the backup will be protected to the same level as having Filevault.

For many users it is not necessary - if you enable iCloud and "Find My Mac" you are able to lock and or wipe the machine if it is lost or stolen.

Oct 2, 2013 11:23 PM in response to ascanes

Once you log into the Mac with FileVault enabled the who of the drive is accessible unless the screen is locked or the mac is in Sleep Mode.

The Boot up process decrypts the system to enable to Operating System to load.

If you decide later to Turn File Vault off it can take several hour to fully decrypt the drive depending on how much data is on the drive.

I have heard of someone who had a couple of Macs taken without authorisation and they used the Find My Mac process to turn them into ornaments/paperweights.

Can your encrypted files still be accessed if someone is able to log on to your computer ? Also, is there a difference in computer performance when using FireVault2? I am new to the iMac world and just purchased y first Apple computer 8 days ago.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.