Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to have Safari add the ".com" automatically to the address bar???

I've just recenty updated my software from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and am having issues with my Safari. Before, I would simply type in the site I wanted to go to and hit 'enter'. 'Www' and '.com' would automatically be filled in and the browser would go straight to that site. Now, after the update, if I type in 'yahoo' and hit enter, since my search engine is google, the google search engine pops up with 'yahoo' results. Why does it do that and how do I have 'www' and '.com' filled in automatically so my browser automatically goes to that page and not a search engine??? Thank you!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 7:39 PM

5 replies

Oct 4, 2013 8:47 PM in response to juliiaaa

Try selecting the entire line (triple-click it to select) then control-click and select Services > Reveal from the contextual menu.

I don't think that is going to solve your problem though. Safari's integrated URL / search field won't be easily circumvented.

Here are three workarounds for you to consider, using yahoo as an example:

1. Type yahoo/ and press Return. The trailing / (slash character) will take you directly to the site.
  2. Type yahoo in the field, then select Go to Site "yahoo" in the dropdown menu that appears immediately upon typing the second o.
  3. Use Firefox (the older version I occasionally use still has separate URL and search fields, not sure about newer versions).

I don't consider it advantageous either, but many people were clamoring for a "unified search bar" and Apple capitulated.

How to have Safari add the ".com" automatically to the address bar???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.