Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 music playlist keeps losing its place

I have an iPhone 4S & a certain favorite playlist with about 800 songs. Before, whenever I was playing the list in the car (via the 30-pin adapter, not the headphone jack) it would remember its place when I disconnected. When I reconnected it would continue from where it left off. After upgrading to iOS7, it remembers where it left off most of the time but sometimes, quite randomly, it will open up with the main iTunes Radio and my place in the playlist is gone. Since there the playlist songs aren't numbered, I have to remember where it left off and manually try to find my place again. It's a small thing but just plain annoying. Anyone else experience this or has some option been added that I don't know about?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 10:02 PM

9 replies

Oct 2, 2013 10:18 PM in response to scruncho1991

The Music app in iOS 7 does seem to have some odd quirks (over and above the horrid layout change). You can try restoring the iPhone and re-load your backup, which means adding all your media again. That seems to have settled down issues I was having with my iPhone 5 losing its place in a playlist and (one time) suddenly stopping playback and quitting.

Another thing you can try -- if your playlist is a "static" playlist (not smart, or "dynamic") you can make a smart playlist based on your static playlist, with the criteria "Playlist is (static playlist name)" and "Last Played is not in the last 1 day" (or whatever amount of time you want to keep them from coming back in). As you play songs from the smart playlist, they'll drop out of it on your next iTunes sync (unfortunately you have to re-sync to get such a playlist to update).

Oct 3, 2013 12:11 PM in response to scruncho1991

I have experienced a similar problem. 😟 My iPhone syncs to my car via Bluetooth. I use iTunes Match. 95% of the time I listen to music based on my own personal playlists I have put together. Both Genius playlists and manual playlists.

Before updating to iOS 7 my iPhone would play the selected playlist until I manually chose another. If I turned off my car and got back in my iPhone / iTunes would start playing the same song exactly where I left off when turning off the car, and continue playing songs in the currently selected playlist.

Now whenever I start my car it's anybody's guess what's going to be coming out of the speakers. It's always completely random. It's also completly random as iTunes is playing while I'm driving. There's nothing like going from a speed metal song to a guided meditation. Or a series of goth songs followed up by classical or jazz. Or, my favourite, a pretty hardcore song followed by spoken word - such as a Spanish lesson.

In a way it's sort of funny and definitely an adventure. But mostly this is just annoying. If I have my iPhone set to play a certain playlist then that's what I want to hear until I choose to change it.

Hope Apple addresses this bug very quickly.

Also, chances of me using iTunes radio... 1%. Wish I could just remove it.

Oct 4, 2013 4:44 AM in response to scruncho1991

This also happening to me but I'm not even playing through my car, although it does connect to my car kit for phone calls.

I select a playlist and start playing, then pause it and start the car, listen to the car radio for a short time to get traffic reports etc. and then go to the music player from the Iphone lock screen but it just plays something random and not my selected playlist.

Given I am trying to learn a new language and have usually selected this has the playlist with a specific lesson chosen, it is really annoying to then start getting some random music play. I then have to unlock the phone, go to music, find my playlist and then select the lesson again. This is also not a good thing to be doing whilst travelling at 70ish down the motorway.

Dam this update, it used to always remember my selected playlist and which track I was up to.

I have also notice another glitch. If you select the camera from the lock screen. take a few pics and then forget to switch the phone into standby and just put it in your pocket, it no longer put the phone into standby automatically after a short time like it used to. I found this out the other day when I had taken a few snaps and got into the car. About 15 mins later, I thought wow my leg is getting hot and it turned out that the camera was still on and so was burning the phone out 😟

Oct 19, 2013 2:13 PM in response to scruncho1991

i am having the smae issue but it has nothing to do with being in a car. i usually set up a playlist for the commute for the next couple of weeks on the train.

finished listening last night in the middle of a song, pressed pause and closed the music app and this morning it did not have the "now playing" words that would take me to where I was.

this was an intermittent issue in ios 5, disappeared in ios6 and is now back.

any thoughts?

Dec 17, 2013 4:08 AM in response to scruncho1991

Same deal here. Playlist loses its place on my iphone 4 about 1 hour after pausing. I have tried pausing through the Music interface as well as removing the headphone jack with the same results. It must be noted that I only listen to playlists when driving in the car so it may or may not be related to the interface with the port adapters etc...

Jan 5, 2014 2:26 PM in response to scruncho1991

I have the same problem and I am only using the headphone jack. I am listening to a book on tape and it is really annoying to lose my place. At times iTunes forgets what I have listened to for hours or days at a time.

I have been trying to see what causes iTunes to lose its place. It seems, in my case, to be related to using Safari then going to iTunes to play the book. After using Safari, I get the main iTunes screen. When I click on the now playing, it can be the beginning of the track I was on, or a previous track I have already heard. Once it jumped to randomly playing my entire iTunes music library on my phone. If I don't use Safari, I don't lose my place in iTunes.

Apple has a lot of issues with iTunes on the iPhone. And like a user above, I will never use iTunes Radio, just let me get to my music, remember what track I am on, and put my tracks on my iPhone in the same order I have them set up on my iTunes on my computer. Is that too much to ask?

Jan 14, 2014 8:14 AM in response to scruncho1991

I use the iphone for books only. I find that IOS7 cares not a whit for my place if i pause a reading, if i answer the phone, if I charge it, or if i connect to my car. It randomly picks up at the start of another chapter, a previous chapter or a different book entirely. errrgh.

Finally i just started taking a screen cap of the progress bar and every time I may shut it off. The scrubber bar is almost impossible to use well when trying to reset it, but that's all it offers, Sigh...

Mar 16, 2014 7:51 PM in response to scruncho1991

My problems seem worse than those I've read about. I kept being "encouraged" to upgrade to IOS7 and when I could no longer respond to text messages, I finally gave in. Things were getting bad quickly so I ended up making a "Genius" appt to install the new OS, having already backed up to the cloud. I decided to renew my itunes Match while at the Store since the Genius said that all my music would still be up there and I would have access to everything. Instead of having access to my music from my many different machines, I discovered that all my music was *gone* from my phone. No warning from the Genius at the store that after he re-backed up my phone I would have zero music (and I had a lot on there). I was going to join the iTunes Match on my iPad but

I was warned that if I did that I would lose all the music on my iPad. What is this? I should pay money to lose my music?

Forced to upgrade (the software kept degrading and the 'genius' just said 'that's normal when you do not upgrade

soon enough') and then waste my time, gas, etc. and lose all my music. So I hear nothing in my car and if I use

"Match" that means I have no music if I do not have wifi or cellular service. Lovely.

Any advice out there? I'm becoming disillusioned with Apple...

iOS 7 music playlist keeps losing its place

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.