Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone input extremely soft / low

Dear all,

The input of the microphone on my MacBook Air has become extremely low / soft (so for example in a Skype call you can barely hear me speak), even though the input under settings > sound is set to the maximum level. This probably means its broken, but if someone knows of another setting or issue that might cause this that would greatly help.

User uploaded file

Thanks and best regards,

Tim Metz

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 9:05 PM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2013 9:37 PM in response to timmetz

Ahh, understood. Ironically assuming that you may be out of warranty, the option to repair / replace the internal mic will slightly outstrip the cost of a decent USB mic (I test and use several microphones),....have you considered getting an external mic?

Make appt. with Apple for diagnostic / repair.

But BEFORE doing so, reset SMC and recheck.

SMC reset and recheck

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Here is a pic of your microphone as found in your model Macbook Air. Peace 😊

User uploaded file

Microphone input extremely soft / low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.