Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video camera stopped working for ALL apps (Facetime, Skype, Photo Booth, etc)

I have a mid 2011 Air. This happened prior to my OS X 10.8.5 upgrade. Anyone else having this problem? I see that there are threads where people had the problem AFTER the OS upgrade, and it only affects Skype.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 9:54 PM

17 replies

Oct 3, 2013 9:07 AM in response to snow_bunny

snow_bunny wrote: I have a mid 2011 Air. This happened prior to my OS X 10.8.5 upgrade...

For your "prior to 10.8.5" problem that effected every camera app, use http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(Over time, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

If you need more details, see the suggestions offered to another Mid-2011 MBA user here.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 3, 2013 8:46 PM in response to EZ Jim

Hey EZ Jim, thanks for the reply. Still not working. I have verified that I do not see a camera under my USB tree in System Information. Also, I have updated the mid 2013 Air Apple fix. In addition, I have reset my SMC twice. The camera was working fine up to just maybe that week of the OS X 10.8.5 update earlier in September. Any other ideas?

Oct 4, 2013 8:29 AM in response to snow_bunny

You're welcome, s_b

snow_bunny wrote:...I have updated the mid 2013 Air Apple fix...

As you can see frommacbookair Technical Specifications, there are many different models of MBAs.

Your "mid 2011 Air" does not need the "mid2013 Air" fix. Only a "mid
2013 Air" running OS X 10.8.5 needs that workaround.

snow_bunny wrote:...Still not working. I have verified that I do not see a camera under my USB tree in System Information... I have reset my SMC twice. The camera was working fine up to just maybe that week of the OS X 10.8.5 update earlier in September. Any other ideas?

With all you have tried, there is still something wrong with your MBA's software or hardware. Here's how I would proceed.

Use the Disk Utility in OS X Recovery (not your normal startup disk's Disk Utility) to repair your disk (not disk permissions).

If Disk Repair does not immediately returnproper camera function, use the OS X Recovery System to reinstall your Mac OS X.

You can use the troubleshooting techniques from http://support.apple.com/kb/ HT2090 to determine proper camera function.

If your System Information utility still does not recognize your camera as a USB device after the repair/reinstall, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 7, 2013 10:05 AM in response to sans_frontieres

sans_frontieres wrote: ... The supplemental update still did not work for me. My camera does not work.

(1) Restart Mac, repair permissions, then download and install OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo). Repair permissions again immediately following the restart that completes the Combo update. Test camera function. If you still encounter a problem with third-party software like Skype, test more than one Apple camera app in more than one user account.

(2) If your problem continues, use OS X Recovery to reinstall Mountain Lion. Then use  > Software Update… to verify that all your software is up to date. Install any needed updates and repair permissions one more time.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Video camera stopped working for ALL apps (Facetime, Skype, Photo Booth, etc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.