Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st Generation AppleTV no longer syncs only streams

I still use a 1st generation appleTV in my son's playroom. We also use it for travelling to places that does not have internet access, so it is imperitive that we have movies on the hard drive and not streaming. Within the last few months we have lost the ability to sync movies, music etc. It shows up in our iTunes but as streaming only without the ability to change anything within iTunes. There is a tab in Tunes that will allow us to "share" photos from iphoto, but no movies tab and no guage showing hard drive space used.

It must have something to do with the latest software update? Is my appleTV with 160gb hard drive incompatible now?

We have recently updated the appleTV software (up to date) and have the new iTunes 11.1 and are running OSX 10.8.5 on our computer.

I found a slight workaround that I can use, but is time consuming. On my appleTV, I search for the movie I want to "buy" in the itunes store (that I have already purchased), and it tells me that I have already purchased the movie and then proceeds to download it to the appleTV. BUT It is so much easier to just sync!

Any help would be appreciated. I have a hard time believing that apple would just remove software functionality / compatibility of the 1st gen appleTV, even though it is old.....

Apple TV, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 6:56 AM

Your library has become a secondary (streaming only) library only (it is possible to turn syncing off by ctrl-clicking on the Apple TV listing in the device list and choosing 'Turn Off Syncing" from the contextual menu) and you need to reconnect your library as a primary library.

Navigate to Settings > Computers > Your Library on the Apple TV, you may be told you will lose all synced content, but you can sync it back afterwards, you won't lose any purchased content that has yet to be transferred. Then select Settings > Computers > Connect To iTunes, note the passcode that appears on screen, click on the device in iTunes and enter the passcode when prompted.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2013 6:56 AM in response to jenscott1205

Your library has become a secondary (streaming only) library only (it is possible to turn syncing off by ctrl-clicking on the Apple TV listing in the device list and choosing 'Turn Off Syncing" from the contextual menu) and you need to reconnect your library as a primary library.

Navigate to Settings > Computers > Your Library on the Apple TV, you may be told you will lose all synced content, but you can sync it back afterwards, you won't lose any purchased content that has yet to be transferred. Then select Settings > Computers > Connect To iTunes, note the passcode that appears on screen, click on the device in iTunes and enter the passcode when prompted.

Nov 28, 2013 9:07 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks! Solved my problem. Not sure why apple has taken this "turn for the worse", although I suspect it has something to do with the new "Mis-Management". I fear for what Apple is to become without Steve at the helm. Since his passing, I have noted several turns towards a less user-friendly apple environment. The case of 1st Gen ATV syncing difficulties is but one. Try finding your "Library" folder. They've hidden it. Spent an hour on the phone with them to finally get it located. Why did they hide it? Why are they making the Mac OS environment so rigid and unfriendly to users? I've been a MAC fan for years. But this new turn of events has me concerned to say the least. I have to deal with enough of this sort of user unfriendliness at work everyday dealing with Microsloth crap. C'mon MAC, get back with the program!

Nov 28, 2013 9:56 AM in response to Nogrey

The case of 1st Gen ATV syncing difficulties is but one.

What difficulties, The Apple TV 1 does exactly what it's always done, aside from the loss of Mobile Me for photos nothing has changed.

Try finding your "Library" folder. They've hidden it. Spent an hour on the phone with them to finally get it located. Why did they hide it?

Because the vast majority of users don't need to go there, shouldn't go there and cause themselves problems when they do.

Jan 20, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the great tips.

I do have a question I hope you can answer. When I turned on "Sync" between my 1st Gen AppleTV I lose "Streaming". When I turn on "Streaming" I lose "Sync". Do you know if the AppleTV is only able to do one or the other and not both?

I did a search on Apple in this article:

iTunes 11 for Mac: Play items in your iTunes library using Apple TV (1st generation)

and I found the following note:

If your Apple TV (1st generation) is synced with an iTunes library, it’s already set up for streaming. (When Apple TV is synced, it appears in the Devices pop-up menu near the top of the iTunes window.)

From the note above, I would guess that the AppleTV can function with both Sync and Stream at the same time but I can't seam to get it to work like that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 6, 2014 1:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

This worked for me just now. I keep my entire music library on the ATV, and it randomly stopped showing up in iTunes.

NB: Under Settings > Computer my library showed up as the first item, but greyed out. Tapping on it offered the disconnect. Unfortunately it deleted everything on the device, so I have to re-sync it, but at least I can sync again.

1st Generation AppleTV no longer syncs only streams

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.