Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch screen stopped working. Is there anyway to force a full backup of the iPhone without typing in my passcode lock or is there anyway to force it to connect to a WiFi network so the phone can backup to iCloud??

Hello all, I could use some help with my iPhone 4, I hope this is the best place to ask!

The Problem:

I want to do a full backup of my iphone to either itunes or to icloud. Unfortunately the iphone got wet and isn’t working properly. The phone turns on and still works, but the touch screen no longer works. I have a passcode lock on the phone so iTunes will not allow me to backup it up until I type in the passcode (which I cannot physically do). WiFi had been turned off before it got wet so it won’t connect to any known WiFi networks either to backup automatically to iCloud.

What happened:

I had been travelling for 6 months and went tubing on a river with my iphone in a dry bag. Unfortunately the dry bag failed and filled with water ruining my iphone.

What I’d like to do:

It’s an old phone and I was planning on buying a new iPhone anyway. I would love to do a full backup to either iCloud or to my computer so when I get a new iPhone I don’t lose anything. I’ve already connected it to my PC and downloaded all the photos and videos off the phone so at least I haven’t lost that, but I would like to be able to recover all the text messages, WhatsApp messages and notes I had created during my 6 months of travel.
The last time it was backed up to my pc or to icloud was in April, so there are 6 months worth of very meaningful data I would love to keep to remind me of my travels!

Is there anyway to force a full backup of the iPhone without typing in my passcode lock or is there anyway to force it to connect to a WiFi network so the phone can backup to iCloud??

iTunes recognizes the phone just now and I tried upgrading the phone to iOS7 in the hopes that it would first backup and then upgrade. Unfortunately all that happened is the phone upgraded to iOS7, but it didn’t backup to iTunes. Now the phone is stuck at the iOS7 welcome screen and I can’t do anything else with it.

Any ideas or tips would be welcome!

NOTE: This is NOT a jailbroken iPhone.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 8:37 AM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2013 12:10 PM in response to KiltedTim

If there is no other way around this, is there anyway to completely wipe the phone then??

The Apple store agreed to give me a new iPhone 4 as a warranty replacement for $150 (I travel a lot and I have a factory unlocked phone, so this is still worth it for me). But before I trade it in, I would like to make sure all my data is backed up on the device first.

When I try and restore the phone now on iTunes, it says I have to turn off Find My iPhone on the phone first before I can restore it. Now since I can't use the screen I can't really do that.

So how do I completely wipe the iPhone???

Thanks!

Touch screen stopped working. Is there anyway to force a full backup of the iPhone without typing in my passcode lock or is there anyway to force it to connect to a WiFi network so the phone can backup to iCloud??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.