Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird icon

I have a weird icon on my ipad "desktop." It is a grey gridded square with an X through the middle and a series of concentric circles superimposed over that. If I press and hold it down, it will jiggle, but it doesn't have an X in the corner that will allow me to delete it. It doesn't seem to be anything I can open. Any ideas what this is and/or how I might get rid of it?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 9:54 AM

6 replies

Oct 6, 2013 4:34 AM in response to rabbitlight

I managed to solve this in the end by doing the following:

1. Deleting any recent apps that I had download in the past week or so (looking against the purchased list in the AppStore app)
  2. Redownloading each app in the AppStore's purchased list by tapping on the download button.

The app in my case was a game called Pivvot and I believe it got stuck as I was tranisitioning from an area of 4G connectivity to a wifi enabled network. It downloaded successfully but there was a duplicate copy represented by the blank grid icon that got stuck in that "waiting" state.

Hope this helps anyone else.

weird icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.