Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow to non existant connection speed on brand new iMac.......

I'm hoping somebody can help me, I purchased a brand new iMac the other day, brought it home, registered and connected it up to my router, it was all very straightorward and I was using the machine exactly as I has expecetd to for the first 24 hours, the internet speed was good.

The following night the internet then significantly slowed and initially I had just put it down to bandwidth so I didn't think too much of it despite the fact that my PC was uneffected. Today I lost connection entirly and although it did return return once or twice for a short while, the sopeed was so slow that I couldn't even load a simple web page.

I spent ages on the phone to Apple support today who tried various things but ended by suggesting that I take the machine back as it may have a hardware issue. I have today exchanged the machine for another brand new iMac, took it out of the box and I have exactly the same issue. I can sometimes connect to the inteernet although when I do the speed is unbelivebly slow, at time it often says that I have no connection.

At all times the machine appears to be connected to my wireless router, a router which also connects to a 2 PC's, a PS3, an iPad, 2 iPhones and a WiiU all with no issues at all. We are never using any more than 2 of these devices at any one time, quite often it's just the one as there are only two of us in the house.

Does anybody have any ideas why/what is happening? Any help given greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

James

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 11:00 AM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2013 11:34 AM in response to brutaldeluxe

Contact Apple again, there are lots of reasons for poor WiFi even if other items works OK. It could be the distance from the router, interference from other WiFi stations/routers that are being picked up by the iMac and not the other equipment. Interference again from other 2.4MHz transmissions, if you are using 2.4Mhz such as Bluetooth, baby alarms etc.

There are applications in the app store that can scan for other WiFi networks and give you S/N and Signal strength information. OS X as one bulit in, Apple may want you to use this in tests.

slow to non existant connection speed on brand new iMac.......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.