Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S Bricked with Black Screen?

A coworker gave me her iPhone 4S when she got her new one, so I plugged it into iTunes to reset it and upgrade the firmware. During the restore, it got stuck in the loop. So I unplugged it and went to try it again (this had happened on my previous phone and I have to do a manual restore), it automatically said something like "iPhone is in recovery mode, must reset your iphone" (I don't remeber exactly as it was only on the screen for a second. I thought nothing of this as that is what I intended to do in the first place. It had the USB icon on the phone screen for a second, then the screen went to black and the restore process stalled. Now the screen stays black, iTunes doesn't recognize the phone at all, I've tried every way to manually reset/reboot the phone and DFU mode won't seem to work. These are hard to tell if I'm doing it right since the screen is staying black. By happenstance, the warrently expires Sunday, so I could take it into the genius bar, but I'm not sure if they will fix it since I did not purchase the phone. Has anyone on here experienced a phone bricked this bad? Is it toast?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 11:25 AM

The warranty follows the device, not the person. Bring the phone in for evaluation before the warranty expires.

2 replies

iPhone 4S Bricked with Black Screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.