Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move my Aperture Library to Synology NAS

I am trying to set up a Synology DS1512+ and want to store my Aperture library on it. I'd appreciate any tips on how to best move the library from my iMac internal drive to the NAS device. The main reason I purchased the DS1512+ was to store my library on a device which I could expand as needed and which provided some data redundancy in case a drive fails.

Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPhone 5, AppleTV, Time Capsule

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 11:22 AM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2013 11:51 AM in response to S.U.N.S.

Aperture will not open the library on a drive that is not formatted MacOS X Extended (Journaled), at least the newest Aperture versions are checking the formatting of the drive.

In addition to that - Apple advises against using network volumes, see: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library,

There is a risk of transmission errors and database corruption.

Also, the access to a NAS will be a lot slower than on a directly connected drive. Aperture will be less responsive. It is preferable, to have the Aperture library on the fastest drive you have.

See this long thread in the "More Like this" to the right: Re: Nas (Synology DS413j) and Aperture

If you want your NAS primarily for backup, create a writable disk image on the NAS with the correct formatting, and store the library on that disk image.

How do I move my Aperture Library to Synology NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.