Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple thunderbolt display blacks out and blinks

Hi,

I have a macbook pro (2.5GHz Intel core i7, 16GB RAM and 10.8.5) for which I use Apple Thunderbolt display as my extended monitor and almost everyday after connecting my external monitor for 3 or 4 hours, Apple thunderbolt display blacks out and starts blinking or displaying weird colors on every blink.

To stop it from doing that, I have to disconnect and reconnect my thunderbolt display.

Is this is universal problem or something wrong with my macbook pro ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 1:24 PM

6 replies

Jan 8, 2014 7:45 PM in response to Christopher Bruno

I worked through all the suggested software "fixes" with partial success (lower frequency of failure) finally swapped out monitor with apple. Problem seems to be solved. THis problem is floating around through these discussion boards. Apple was very good about the swap; they know there's a problem with a few of these units, I think. If you're reading this, don't fool around too much. bite the bullet and swap it out...

Mar 4, 2015 7:12 AM in response to pbathalac

I've got two 27" Thunderbolt displays hooked up to my Mac Pro. Both displays blank out irregularly multiple times per hour.

I've exchanged one of the displays for a brand new display and the problem continues.

I've updated both displays using the firmware update a few months back and the problem continues.

I'm using separate Thunderbolt cables rather than the built-in cables and the problem continues.

Bullocks.

May 29, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Daniel Rizzuto

You are describing my experience exactly. I have a Mac Pro, two monitors, both blink out and come back on multiple times and hour. It's not the cables... I've got like 10 cables and they all do it. It'll happen when there are no external devices besides the monitors. Same issues.

I've even tried different combinations of monitors. Happens with my Apple monitors and my Sharp PNK321 and any combination of those (we have many Apple monitors at work — they're all the same issue).

I'm super confused. This appears to be a problem with the video card of video card drivers. Apple hasn't been able to tell me much yet.

Did you ever figure anything out?

Apple thunderbolt display blacks out and blinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.