Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the point of a Retina screen for video editors?

This is a cheeky request, because I don't know why a video editor would want a Retina display on a Mac.

I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro and the choice open to me doesn't make sense.

As a video editor, I would would like a Mac to take on site to work in Final Cut Pro X. Both my current MacBook Pro 17" machines are getting long in the tooth, so when Apple release their next portable computers I'll need to work out the right MacBook for me.

Apart from having the Final Cut Pro X user interface look smoother on the screen, what is the point of a powerful graphics card using up so much power supporting a Retina display?

Editing video needs many controls: a big timeline, events to store clips, effects browsers and tabbed inspectors. Editing with an effective resolution of less than 1920 by 1200 is cramped. On Retina displays, to get the same proportion of video to UI, I understand that the graphics card emulates a 3840 by 2400 screen and scales it down to 2880 by 1400. I don't want GPU power doing that when it can better serve me rendering effects and encoding video.

If Apple want developers to move intense graphics operations over to the GPU, why then waste that GPU with scaling the UI up and back down again?

At the moment if I want a GPU unencumbered with having to support a Retina display, I must then be satisfied with a slower GPU, less memory and a smaller amount of solid-state storage - for roughly the same money.

Ideally I'd like a 15" display with native 1920 by 1200 pixels but with the same maximum memory, CPU and GPU options as the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I'd also like to trade half the battery time for more Flash memory. Working on big edits means that you are never less than an hour from power. Having more space for content is more important than a battery that never usually gets below 70% charge on a busy location shoot.

If you are a video editor, please explain why a MacBook with Retina Display is a good option - other that it is the only way to get the best of Apple's storage, power and processing options.

As I'm probably going to buy a new MacBook Pro soon after any relevant Apple announcement, I hope to be directed to towards the right choice.

Thanks!

@Alex4D

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 2:25 PM

There are no replies.

What is the point of a Retina screen for video editors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.