Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio mutes during streaming

Hi Applers,

Now I have no idea if it is a hardware, software or network issue so I've come here to ask for any suggestions!

I recently updated the software on my Mac OS X to Snow Leopard Version 10.6.8 (Processor 2.66 GHz intel Core 2 Duo)

I didnt have any problems before but needed to update as my Itunes needed updating aswell, otherwise I couldn't sync with my iphone 4s (ios7 now)

So everything seemed fine, even upgraded all other software incl. google chrome (was using firefox), Skype, Flash etc so now everything was up to date...

However...since the update I'm having issues whenever streaming a film, playing music or video skyping. For example when streaming films/series, the audio seems to mute for appx 5-6 seconds while the playback continues. This would happen every few minutes. Some might say it could be the site im using but I have used the same one for years and not had a problem. Also tried other sites and still the same issue. And defo not the site as it does the same thing when playing music from Itunes...sound dissappears for a few seconds but continues playing!

Occassionally playback also freezes (esp when skyping) which makes me think it is a network issue but Ive contacted Virgin and they ran some tests and all is normal apparently. I also have Mackeeper and scan everthing etc and all is clean no viruses...

Basically I dont know what is causing the problem but Im inclined to think it something to do with Software as mentioned before all was well before installing Snow Leopard....

Please help me guys!

Ken

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 4:19 PM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2013 4:32 PM in response to kenlau23

Here's another set of instructions, in case that website is confusing:

To Completely Uninstall and Remove Zeobit's MacKeeper

Download and Install App Cleaner - http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Download and Install Find Any File - it's on the Mac App Store.

Run AppCleaner

1. Click on Applications
  2. Select MacKeeper
  3. Click on Search
  4. Select all results
  5. Click on Delete

Run Find Any File

1. Search for zeobit
  2. Select and Delete all results (except for those already in the Trash)
  3. Search for mackeeper
  4. Select and Delete all results (except for those already in the Trash)

Open Up Keychain Access

1. Search for zeobit
  2. Select and Delete all results
  3. Search for mackeeper
  4. Select and Delete all results

Secure Empty Trash

Reboot

Oct 7, 2013 3:34 PM in response to bentkitty100

Hi bentkitty

Thanks for your input!

I've done as u've said and cleared all that is related to Mackeeper/zeobit and all seemed well for a few days but the problem still hasnt gone away....For example tonight when i was skyping the audio again went mute for a few seconds (and was occuring every couple of minutes). So i decided to play a quick youtube video and see if this would happen as well and it did!

Arghghg whats happening to my Mac?! Any other suggestions?

Ken

Oct 8, 2013 3:32 PM in response to bentkitty100

Hey

i cant remember when i bought my Mac but it was probably a good 6-7 years ago i think.

I do have Skype running and it does seem to occur when thats on as well so it maybe all linked to that. Which is strange as never had this prob before update. Oh well i'll just hope it gets resolved itself or maybe another "update" will make it smoother! :s

Audio mutes during streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.