Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem recognizing card reader to download images

I am using a MacBook Air, running 10.8.5 and Aperture 3.4.5 - I have a Kodak 72-in-1 USB card reader and pictures on a CF card from my Canon 50D camera = there are images on the card, the card reader lights up and I have tried both USB ports on the Air. But the card is neither recognized by Aperture nor is it recognized by Image Capture.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 7:33 PM

Are you mixing USB2 with USB3? I have USB2 readers that do not work with USB3 hubs and sometimes USB3 ports.

Has it ever worked in this set-up?

Can you upload the files on the card by connected the camera directly to the computer using the camera-supplied USB cable?

5 replies

Oct 3, 2013 7:47 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

this has the flat usb end that fits in the Air and the other end of the cable fits in the reader == I haven't used this reader before on this machine but have on others = I tried to connect the 50D directly to the USB ports using the same cable and Aperture never recognized it at all. The cable works, as when I plug the reader into the Air using that cable the power light comes on and the other light [showing that the accessing I think] -- lights up...but whether I use the reader or the camera, Aperture and Image Capture are not seeing the card

Oct 4, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Victoria Herring

IME, the lights on the card readers often light up even when a card is not being read (afaict).

I'm going on the assumption that the problem occurs because of one of:

- the usb port

- the cable

- the reader

- the card

You seem to have ruled out the first three. (Not the reader positively, but the problem occurs even with the reader removed from the chain.) Does the set-up work with a second CF card?

Fwiw, IME the card-reader is by far the most prone to failure of the items listed above.

Oct 4, 2013 8:42 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks so much for your guidance [love the images on your Profile page by the way!] -- I'm starting to think it's the USB ports but two of them??? I needed to plug in my FitBit dongle to sync data and it was not recognized on either the L or R port. So it may be the ports are bad or something. I find it odd that both would go bad but will check and see. Thanks for the explanation and I'll sort it out and report back if I can figure it out = I do agree that card readers frequently fail [but then they are cheap so it's not a major issue usually] - I just hope my applecare on this machine is good still!

Thanks again.

Problem recognizing card reader to download images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.