Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini RAM. Will it run ok with just one x 8GB module?

I want to upgrade my mac mini ram to 8GB. The module I want is compatible but it is only one module which I need to install. My question is, Do I need to fill the other module or will it run ok, with one module empty.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 6:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Chama9876

It is best to install RAM modules in pairs. (2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB)

However, if the single 8GB module is the correct specification. Then you should be fine replacing one of your factory 2GB modules and have a total of 10GB.

see > Mac mini (Late 2012): Memory specifications and upgrades

For vendors that sell tested pairs, go to > OWC Macsales.com or Crucial.com

Dec 31, 2013 4:22 AM in response to Lennart Thelander

Apple makes the the computer and say it's best to install memory in pair...the computer comes with a pair of memory. Just follow the instructions from the maker.

However, you could certainly do as you will. To push my MacBook Pro (2008) to the edge by installing six (2 + 4) because, although it recognizes eight (4 + 4), the laptop actually becomes slower with eight...addressing issue (Apple Official max memory is 4). With the Intel processors, one can install the memory that's not a pair...works, no problem. Mine works like a champion with Mavericks and 6GB memory. For me, I just wanted to extend the life of my MacBook Pro.

Still, like stereo, memory is best installed in a pair.

Dec 31, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Lennart Thelander

All Intel Core Macs support dual channel memory access if matching modules are installed. The customary estimate is that this gives a 6% - 8% real world performance benefit.

Intel Macs are capable of gaining some benefit from using matched RAM - where both memory sticks have identical specs (not just capacity, but identical in every respect).

The benefit may be slightly more noticeable on Macs with integrated video (MacBook, Mini), where the video processor uses main system memory (rather than dedicated VRAM).

Mac Mini RAM. Will it run ok with just one x 8GB module?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.