Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send email. A copy has been placed in your Outbox.

Hi,

I am unable to send email from my iphone, i get this message. 'A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The recipient "emailaddress.com" was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying.

can anyone help

<Email Edited by Host>

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 7:26 AM

17 replies

Nov 18, 2013 1:21 PM in response to aztecpg

Had the same problem since "upgrading" to iOS7. No changes to any settings on my end or email host end.

I had to delete and re-add the account using the exact same settings, but that didn't fix the problem. When I checked the settings for the 2 accounts in question, I noticed the outgoing server info that I had just entered was not saved/removed from the account info when the account was being created. After re-entering it, I tried sending again and the problem was solved. Something is definitely funky with iOS7.

Just to clarify, my error message was "the recipient "mail@example.com" was rejected by the server" nothing about relaying.

Dec 11, 2013 1:51 PM in response to aztecpg

Basically, your outgoing mail server requires your user name and password to fix this problem. Follow this map:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > choose and click on the mail account > scroll down to Outgoing Mail Server and click on the address > click on your domain where it is listed, either Primary Server or Other Services > at this point you need to enter your username and password > click "done" at top right corner.

Unable to send email. A copy has been placed in your Outbox.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.